How to Google Street View drivers get their job?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheBonk, Mar 18, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

TheBonk

I've been interested in working for Google driving one of those cars that takes pictures for the Street View of Google Maps. I have no idea how I could get that job though! I've searched desperatly online and found nothing. How do all those people get those jobs? :eek:

2. JNB
    macrumors 604

JNB

Failed the test at McDonalds?

I can't see where that would be much of an attractive job: perfect driving record likely required, your own car (probably), your own camera (probably), and minimum wage (probably). The whole "Do No Evil" thing generally doesn't apply to contract employees.

Might be interesting for summer work if you're bored and just want something different for the experience of sucking fumes and getting nearly run over eight hours a day.

I do use it, though--I needed the view from State & Hubbard when I stayed at the Courtyard last month!

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

TheBonk

Well, I'm a high school (soon to be graduate) student working as stocker at a grocery store. I'm sure driving a car for Google would be much better than that. :p

4. Moderator emeritus

Although I can't help you with the job hunt, I think, although I'm not sure, that I saw a car doing this — or something similar — in central London a couple of months ago.

It was a low-slung black sports-type car with two people in it. It had a 4-5 foot antenna with a cluster of small cams on the top, and within the car I could see a couple of small displays. The passenger seemed to be making notes but as a pedestrian I couldn't see exactly what they were doing.

I would contact Google directly. I think you've got to start here.
    http://www.google.com/intl/en/jobs/index.html

[​IMG]

5. JNB
    macrumors 604

JNB

Retail grocery has a longer shelf life (no pun intended), career-wise, tho' the Google thing would be a giggle in the short term (but only the short term). Hell, I could've been a VP at Safeway long ago if I'd started bagging/stocking at your age. If you have Costco in the area, look into them. Seriously good place to work for.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

TheBonk

Hmm, have you worked at Costco? How is the work there? I hear the pay is starting at $11.

7. macrumors 65816

juanm

No, it's not your own camera, and as far as I know, they also provided the car:

[​IMG]

It probably consists only in driving according to the GPS directions, and the software does the rest. Taking, archiving and stitching 11 pictures manually every 3 meters for thousands of kilometers would be a hell of a PITA! :p

Google "streetview new beetle" and you'll find more about it. Maybe there's a FAQ or about page in the Streetview website.

8. JNB
    macrumors 604

JNB

True, but it's pretty over the top for retail, and it ramps up pretty quickly. There's generally a waiting list to get in, and most folks end up staying a LONG time.

From http://www.reclaimdemocracy.org/articles_2004/costco_employee_benefits_walmart.html:

"Costco pays starting employees at least $10 an hour, and with regular raises a full-time hourly worker can make $40,000 annually within 3½ years. Cashiers are paid $10.50 to $17.50 an hour.

Wal-Mart doesn't disclose its wage rates, since they vary by location. According to a recent study funded by Wal-Mart, cashiers at its Supercenters in Las Vegas were paid $7.65 to $11.45 an hour. Supercenters are Wal-Mart's discount grocery and general-merchandise stores.

Costco also pays 92% of its employees' health-insurance premiums, much higher than the 80% average at large U.S. companies. Wal-Mart pays two-thirds of health-benefit costs for its workers. Costco's health plan offers a broader range of care than Wal-Mart's does, and part-time Costco workers qualify for coverage in six months, compared with two years for Wal-Mart part-timers.

'From day one, we've run the company with the philosophy that if we pay better than average, provide a salary people can live on, have a positive environment and good benefits, we'll be able to hire better people, they'll stay longer and be more efficient,' says Richard Galanti, Costco's chief financial officer.

Costco has several advantages over Wal-Mart that help it extend such unusually generous pay and benefits. Costco has a more-upscale reputation than Sam's Club, helping it attract shoppers with higher incomes. The average Costco store rings up $115 million in annual sales, almost double the Sam's Club average. And Costco, which charges $45 to $100 for yearly memberships, doesn't spend any money on advertising."

9. macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I doubt Google will hire a high school student to do this.

Liabilities and all. :(

10. macrumors newbie

Thinking the Same thing

I've been thinking about the same thing actually. If it would mean getting streetviews for my town, I'd be willing to contribute my time for that effort! Where would I sign up?!? I don't think I would even mind minuscule compensation for the time contributed for the good of lost kind.:D
    So if they ever plan on Streetviewing Columbus, Ga... tell someone to look me up!

11. macrumors newbie

have you ever looked into google as a company?? they treat their employees way better than a costco or sams club.
    Look it up go see what their offices look like and i bet youll want to get a job as a google street car driver. I highly HIGHLY doubt its making minimum wage.
    This job is perfect for an adverterous person who wants to see the world and get paid for it!!!
    do some research before you start dissing a company.

12. macrumors 68030

cleanup

According to this article, Google contracted the work to this company, so you're outta luck in terms of being an independent, got-my-own-car-just-gimme-the-camera Google Streetview driver. Sorry!

13. macrumors 68000

I don't like google street view. I mean it's handy, but I don't like the idea that people can snoop around my neighborhood :p

14. macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I don't see how this logically follows. They have a nice office so I'm going to want to drive around in a car all day?

15. macrumors 68000

cycocelica

16. macrumors 6502

17. macrumors 6502

I've always wondered the same exact thing.. Not sure what other people are thinking, but I think it would be an awesome job.

18. macrumors newbie

street view driver

Ok the job is called "GeoImmersive Data Producer" and its with the Immersive Media Company that Google contracts to get all the street view images. Pay starts at about 24K and they provide a limited budget to live and eat on when you're on the road.

19. macrumors 68020

toolbox

Theres a test at Mcdonalds? - I thought they hired anyone

20. macrumors newbie

TheBonk
    In Philadelphia they advertised on Craigs List under Jobs/Transportation/Driver with a short description of the job. What I would like to know is there schedule and the next city they are going to shoot. If I knew that I would break out my Waldo costume and have some fun.

21. macrumors newbie

Seriously?? Yeah, don't work for google, a highly rated employer, but managing a grocery store, that's a great career choice.

22. macrumors newbie

found myself several times

id love to do that, roll a few joints and cruise around taking pics, found myself in three different pics, one in the middle of nowhere 3 years ago and two where i live now. like it

23. macrumors 6502a

Keniff

You want to make some easy money?

Try this site:

http://www.how_to_get_rich.com/

;)

24. macrumors 68020

leomac08

If you spot a 2008 TOYOTA PRIUS HYBRID THAT IS THE COLOR RED! AND HAS A BIG STICK ON TOP WITH SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE A CAMERA, STOP THAT CAR!:D

25. macrumors 65816

wackymacky

Umm. you want to spend your life going up 1st St, down 2nd St, up 3rd St, down 4th St, up 5th St, down 6th St.....etc etc.

day in day out, going mile after mile after mile, going nowhere?

Interesting ambition.