How to handle a work situation

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by furryrabidbunny, May 26, 2006.

1. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I am getting nervous about this... I got a new job last week and I already put in notice at my old one (have one week left). The guy that hired me said he had to email me paperwork to finish the process, but I had the job, without doubt, even did the handshake thing etc. At one week later and one unanswered email, no paperwork yet or any word at all on job status. This is my first "real" so I have no idea how to handle this. The guy who I am dealing with is a fuke on the phone, takes forever to get back to you etc., and is the same with emails, I routinely had to wait a few days for him to get back to me. Should I be worried, or should I give this guy a call on Tuesday to see what's up? I am just really worried because like I said already quit the job (which he told me to do asap) and I kinda want income. Thanks in advance.

2. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I would say contact the company, if you don't want to deal with the guy. I'm not really sure how to handle this. I've never really been in a situation like this.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Say you were never did get this job despite what they told you, and so now you're unemployed and need to find a new job, but can't for a few months. Surely you could sue the company that said they hired you, since they were the reason you quit your old job. :confused:

C'mon man, you're an American. Sue sue sue!

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Same thing happened to my wife. Except when she showed up to her new job they had no job for her. She was unemployed for a month but in the end she got a better job. Since the incident we make sure to get the offer in writing before quitting are current jobs.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

This is sage advice.

Once you have something in writing, there is no doubt on either side on issues such as pay, benefits, work hours, etc.

6. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Most companies don't consider you officially hired until you've signed an official offer letter. That's why when I apply for new jobs I write my availability as two weeks from receipt of an official job offer.

7. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

If I don't get this job...

I would really consider going there and punching the guy in the face. Most of this is nerves, but it isn't really comforting to know this has happen to other people. He said my letter was in the mail, idk though, you guys are really making me wonder. To say this is my first real job is no stretch... I've only worked retail and food up to this point, I had no idea about offer letters, cobra insurance, all this other crap that happens when you leave a job. If worse comes to worse, I could always go back to my retail job and keep looking, they haven't hired a replacement or interviewed anyone. This is where I am getting a job at (have a job at, whatever) http://newhorizons.com

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It could be that the guy you talked to didn't follow through because he found somebody "better" and didn't have the courtesy to notify you. So perhaps you don't have the job.

However, it could also be that he is simply a flake or absentminded or even out sick, or that the message to you really got lost, and that once this gets resolved you'll have the job after all.

So don't burn any bridges until you know. If it's a largish company, this may be a guy you'll never deal with again.

Good luck either way.

9. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

The thing is... I was hired on the last days of interviews, and on my second interview which was a fake teaching session. There were supposed to be five candidates there, but only two showed up. I think the guy is a flake, and to my misfortune, I have to deal with him because he told me he would be the one training me.

10. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

I gotta tell ya, this is not a new story. My best suggestion is to speak to your current supervisor and ask if you can recind your notice. Once this is done and you are more secure, then contact this yabo in person. Obviously letters and phone calls are a waste of time. Your first priority is to you. Chalk this up as a lesson learned and go on from there. It happens to everyone at some time. Good luck...

11. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I'm seriously thinking about doing that. Tell my current boss what's going on and taking away that notice. I don't owe those new guys anything, I need to watch out for me, they can go to hell as far as i'm concerned.

12. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

Good news. I gave the guy a ring, and he said I shoudl expect it today. I guess its been hectic there and he was typing my offer letter when I called him. Big load off my shoulders, so relieved.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Why can't he email the offer letter to you?

Oh yeah, and remember - if you are offered a signing bonus, you'll only see half the amount after taxes. So don't spend like you're getting the whole thing!

14. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

He is emailing it... trust me if you talked to this guy you wouldn't expect anything that fast. I'll be happy if I see it when I get home from work tonight at around 12:30. The guy could barely send me a zip file, kept putting a .exe file in it, which gmail blocks. Finally had to make an account with my isp which doesn't block .exe files like it should. Took me three days to get a book on what I was teaching in my interview.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Good luck! :)

Although, be forewarned...EVERY HR person in the world is typing the letter they owe you when you call them. Always. It's just the way things work... So take that with a grain of salt. But I really hope your mail is brightened with a letter in the very near future.

16. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Completely second (errr, third) this point.

Also, seems everything is working out well, but be sure not to burn bridges, cause it really is a small world and you never know who talks to who. You may be burning more bridges than you intend.

Also, be careful with this job. Even though it seems to be working itself out, be wary of a job that you've had so many problems with so early. It may be an indication of a poor work environment or corporate culture.

...Just a few words to the wise. :)

17. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

That is something I've had in the back of my mind. Like when I called, something was really loud in the background, I could barely hear him, really unprofessional. This is what I plan to take away from this job... get trained in every adobe app, office app, and get a few certifications for free, not even free, but paid to get them. Make decent money for a 20 year old, and roll to greener grass in a year. Thats what the guy said most people do. What is also appealing is the fact that they are located everywhere, so if I want to move, I might be able to transfer. But to be honest with myself, I am not expecting this to be the greatest job ever, just a good job that will allow me pickup some good skills. One thing I haven't understood about this experience, is the fact they are nationally known and pretty well endorsed by Microsoft, but yet it seems like they are run like crap. Kinda surprising.

18. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

Very good point... I was thinking about being an ass if he screwed me over, but the phoenix metro/east valley is very small and there isn't a giant job market, especially right now when it comes to tech jobs that don't require a masters. It wouldn't surprise me if the guy didn't have enough connections to cost me a few jobs.