How to handloe over 5GB (over 1,200) Ebooks?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Max on Macs, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Max on Macs macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

Hi guys,

I have over 5GB, over 1,200 Ebooks, and whil using Spotlight to find one works ok, it can still be difficult to locate a book as easily as I can on my NeXT workstation which has an app called 'Digital Librarian' which works rather well. Is there anything like this, but perhaps with Spotlight-like features such as instant response, for OS X?

Thanks

2. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Have you tried iTunes? :cool:
    You can put eBooks in there and arrange them with playlists or smart-folders.

3. Max on Macs thread starter macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

Surely that would only work with Audiobooks (these are Ebooks - PDFs)? I don't want them all copied to my iPod every time I plug it in, or to my phone.

Thanks

4. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

You can put PDF's into iTunes. I don't think they'll be copied to the iPod but then again I've never tried.

AppleMatt

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

iTunes picked up the ability to manage PDFs when it picked up the ability to handle liner notes for CDs... it can actually store any kind of PDF you want. When you double click them, they launch in the default app (Preview, for me). And you can search them like songs, and add data to ID3 fields (but not lyrics or artwork).

If you deselect the blue box next to the entry in iTunes, you can also use the feature to only sync checked songs in the preferences, to ensure that these are not put on your iPod.

Entourage might also be another option...

6. Max on Macs thread starter macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

Hi,

I don't like to use Entourage for anything (and currently don't). iTunes would be quite good considering its playlists and its on-the-fly searching. Is it possible to have two separate libraries (without having two separate accounts)?

Thanks

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think you can have two separate libraries in iTunes by changing the library location from the advanced preferences pane, but it might be a little kludgy. :(

One thing I thought of... I don't think the iTunes search tool will see words *in* the PDF. I'm not sure if the encryption, if any, on eBooks prevents this, but if you are able to spotlight PDF files based on words contained in the body text, you might end up losing this...

8. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

This program lets you have multiple libraries. It's not free though; cost $10. :(
    Or try this free but hard and scary method. :cool:

9. Max on Macs thread starter macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

I think $10 is well worth it for this. I'd have loved if Digital Librarian was ported to OS X (in theory that would be easy considering OS X is just a new NeXTStep, right'?) but I'll try this until something better comes along.

Thanks guys