How to have preferences automatically change sound output device

Discussion in 'macOS' started by annk, Mar 16, 2006.

1. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I brought up this problem once before in relation to Automator, and now I'm trying again in relation to scripts.

I have a Logitech USB headset/microphone combo I use for Skype. Each time I plug it in, I have to change prefs both in system prefs and in Skype before the headset will work. I'd love to be able to have the prefs change automatically each time the Logictech is plugged in and pullled out (I like to use the PB's built-in speakers when I'm not skyping, and I go back and forth several times during each day).

I know nothing about scripts, but is it possible something like this could be done with a script? If not, is there another way to do this?

2. superwoman macrumors regular

I have no solution, but I'm upping this thread, because I want to know too.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have a Logitech USB headset too and sometimes it changes the preferences over to my microphone and sometimes it doesn't. It has been getting better with more use though.

4. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

OMG, you mean you can TRAIN them?? :eek: :D

Edit: Seriously, do you mean it changes automatically more and more often, the more you use it?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Whenever I plug in my headset and fire up Skype I more often then not find my microphone and output switched to the headset off of the internal systems of my iMac G5. I even check to make sure. It's still not 100% reliable though.

I didn't do that as often before. It might be part of an OS X update too.

6. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Hmmm...I have all the updates except the very last one (I'm waiting since some people are experiencing problems after the last one), and I don't think the prefs have ever switched automatically for me. :(

If nothing else, I'd love to have a little button/toggle somewhere on the menu bar, to make switching easier than having to open prefs.

Anyone have any ideas on how to do something like that?