Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
I have a dual 1.25ghz G4 Powermac and I would like to hook my printer up to it. It's a HP 2000c printer. The problem is that I don't have a printer port on the Powermac, so how can I hook it up? Is there some kind of USB adapter I can get or something like it?

Thanks!

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
is the HP a usb printer, if so just download the driver... if its not and is old, then there maybe something from when apple first started using USB, to convert it to the old plug.. or you could just buy a new printer, they arent too expensive anymore..

aethier

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
yeah the adpater from parallel to usb is probably going to be more than a new printer. just go pick yourself out a nice cheap printer and you will be on your way.

iJon

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
The printer isn't all that old, only about two years .

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Wano
The printer isn't all that old, only about two years .
does it have usb, if it doesnt its old in my terms. actually it doesnt matter who old or new you think it is. if it doesnt have usb you are SOL unless you want to spend money on it, and personally it would be more than it is worth.

iJon

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Originally posted by iJon
yeah the adpater from parallel to usb is probably going to be more than a new printer. just go pick yourself out a nice cheap printer and you will be on your way.

iJon
Watch out for cheap ink jets. The replacement ink may well cost more than the printer. Do your homework like with any purchase. I just picked up a Brother laser printer for $169--not bad. Anyway, I also agree about giving up if you don't have USB on your printer.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Horrortaxi
Watch out for cheap ink jets. The replacement ink may well cost more than the printer. Do your homework like with any purchase. I just picked up a Brother laser printer for $169--not bad. Anyway, I also agree about giving up if you don't have USB on your printer.
oh i know all about cheap printers. im just guessing with an old printer that doesnt have usb, a low end printer would probably surpass what he has now. Brother makes one hell of a printer.

iJon

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
I have a HP 2000c Proffesional Series printer, it's hella good! The quality is great, but yeah the problem is it's not usb. The thing still goes for around $400-500, so I don't wanna trash it just cause it doesn't have USB.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Wano
I have a HP 2000c Proffesional Series printer, it's hella good! The quality is great, but yeah the problem is it's not usb. The thing still goes for around $400-500, so I don't wanna trash it just cause it doesn't have USB.
well that i would recommend buying the parallel to ethernet adapter hp sells. probably around 100-150 dollars if i remember right. make sure they make drivers for it on the mac. and if hp doesnt mention drivers for it check out gimp-print to double check.

iJon

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Sell the 2000c and buy something else. Among all the other issues it doesn't have Mac support. That's not to say it couldn't be made to work, but how many hints do you need?

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by Horrortaxi
Sell the 2000c and buy something else. Among all the other issues it doesn't have Mac support. That's not to say it couldn't be made to work, but how many hints do you need?

Actually Adobe made software to make it compatible with macs...i think it's called PrintReady

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
PressReady. Interesting thing is that it enables USB printing with that printer.
Are you absolutely certain it doesn't have a USB port on it? A lot of the time printers will have parallel and USB. Look in the vicinity of the parallel port for the small square-ish USB connection. Seems like a printer 2 years old should have that--especially if apps are being written to utilize it.

acj

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
USB to paralell adapters should NOT be $100-$200!!! I sold an old paralell port printer to a friend with an original imac once, and he got an adapter for $25 or so. here are some starting at $20.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.