How to hook up digital cam. to new laptop?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Greenone, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Greenone macrumors 6502

Sep 19, 2005
    Hi -

I can't remember if my camera came with another cord besides the one with black and yellows on the end for watching slide shows on TV. But I see there's nowhere those will fit on the Powermac (not this latest PC version but the one that came out in the Fall).

Did the laptop come with the appropriate cord, in the box? IS there an appropriate cord, or do I have to do it in a more indirect way? I feel like an idiot for not being able to figure it out or remember. Somewhere around here I have the little device for downloading pictures via the memory card. Is that my only option? Cause it would be nice if I didn't have to lose my pictures from the camera (could keep the pictures on the camera but also transfer their images onto my laptop).

Thanks so much!

p.s. - my camera is a Canon PowerShot A80
  2. TechnoPagan macrumors regular

Feb 2, 2006
    You're looking for a little USB cable. It'll be tiny on the end that plugs into the camera and a regular looking USB thing on the side that plugs into the computer.
  3. gallagb macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2004
    it did come w/ another cord

a USB>>usb mini cable of some sort

a) check the box to see if u have it
    b) take the digital camera to radioshack (or best buy) and ask them to help you find a cable that would work (~$10-15)
    c) figure out what kinda card your camera takes - then buy an external card reader (~$20)

hope this helps

btw- the other cable u describe- is typically called some sort of RCA cable- as you said- plugs into a VCR or TV
  4. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2006
    Just bring the camera within the vicinity of your computer, and *poof* it'll appear on the screen.......... wait.......
  5. Greenone thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 19, 2005
    Hey Macgeek that's great news! :rolleyes:

I do have the card reader somewhere around here and I'll look around for the extra cords that came in the box...thanks everyone!