How to i restore after a clean rebuild?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by ChrisH3677, May 21, 2004.

1. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

Ok... I know what to backup... but after doing a clean re-install of Panther, how do I restore so that everything works??

do I first delete the relevant folders then restore the corresponding ones from my backup? Is it really that easy? (Can you tell I'm a switcher?!)

Also, If I do a clean install from the Panther disks (these did not come with my PB, they're not the system restore disks) do I get a Classic environment? If not, how do I get Classic back?

thanks

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Copy your old folders into the new install and overwrite what's there. That'll do it.

Classic won't be there. To get classic you use the System Restore disks that came with your computer.

3. ChrisH3677 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks HT, that worked a treat. Man it's so much smoother rebuilding a Mac than a Wintel.

Now, another question. How do I get back all the apps that came pre-installed on my PowerBook? eg Graphic Conver, OmniGraffle, Art Director's Toolkit etc etc. I looked high and low thru the System Restore disc (DVD) but there was nothing even remotely like them.

thanks

4. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I believe that my computer has a seperate installer on one of those disks where you can just install those apps and not a complete restore.

5. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Don't mean to hi-jack your thread here, but I have a question related to this. I'm giving my 2 year-old G3 iBook to my son and I want to get rid of everything on it. He will need classic to run an older version of Illustrator and Photoshop.

I have Panther to put on it.

So if I read you correctly, I should do a clean install of Panther and then use the system restore disks that came with the iBook to install Classic - then would I still be able to run software update to get it back up to OS 9.2 or whatever the latest is??

Thanks a lot, M

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

They're on the System Restore disk.

I haven't done this for a little while, but I think there is 1 installer for everything--so just pick what you want to restore.

7. ChrisH3677 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Man!! Am I thick! I just had another look at the disk. There's an installer on it called "Install Applications & Mac OS 9"!! :eek: :eek:

I misread it the other times as just OS 9.

thanks HT :D