Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i_macrumors

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
hi,

I'm using my iPod touch 6gen iOS 9.2 for video (and audio-) recording of academic lectures, using the built-in hard- and software, recording at 1080p HD at 30 fps, which is one of the defaults.

Now there's a few issues I run into :

1. quality

I'm getting rather grainy results. While I know that's mainly due to luminosity etc., I have no manual control over it, the iPod doing all the work.

Is there any hard- and/or software out there that might improve the quality without blowing up the file size?

F.ex. apps like MoviePro or FiLMiC, could they improve quality?

As for hardware, would an external lens be helpful in that regard?

2. size

A 40 min. lecture is yielding a whopping 5,14 Go H264 file... That's way too huge for me.

The only way I managed to reduce it, is by converting it to a H265 HEVC format using Handbrake (a free app), which reduces it to about a 500 megabytes, which is fine.

Any ways to reduce the file size keeping the H264 format (because of problem of playability)?

3. playability of H265 on ipod

I installed both VLC and H.265 (from structure AG) to play the converted H265 file.

They both yield distorted playback.

Is this due to specific settings in Handbrake, to the 2 apps installed or to hardware limitations of the iPod touch?

Any way to get a decent H265 playback on my iPod?

Thanks for any help on this issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.