Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Hi,

I just received an email back from a friend in Bali, he said it took 25 minutes to download at 12,400bps on his powerbook.

No pics or anything just a few K's.

25 minutes does seem a trifle excessive and I suppose there could be many local reasons for the long download time. However having said that, is there any application or diagnostic tools that could speed things up?

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Kind of hard to troubleshoot a problem on the other side of the world with almost no information... My first guess would be that it's his connection, not the PowerBook. 12,400 bps is very slow dialup speed. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the integrity of the connection.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Yeah I realise that I don't have any more useful info yet but I can ask some more questions if I know what to ask.

Are you suggesting that if it is the connection then there is nothing that can be done about it?

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
dogbone said:
Yeah I realise that I don't have any more useful info yet but I can ask some more questions if I know what to ask.

Are you suggesting that if it is the connection then there is nothing that can be done about it?

Well, if the connection really is bad, there is probably not much to be done about it other than getting a different connection somehow. Of course broadband would be highly desirable, but it may not be possible for him where he is.

radha65

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2009
Many users in India get an internet connection, just for basic browsing and checking their emails. So a dial up connection would suffice to suit their needs. Well, what about the case of the other heavy internet surfers who download games, music, movies etc from the web. The question they frequently ask is how to improve the download speed of utorrent or any other torrent client for that matter. The answer is that you simply cannot. You can however tweak your torrent client, in this case utorrent, by changing the port forward number, upload ratio, download ratio etc to increase the speed of your downloads. But still, you only get the maximum provided download speed allocated by your Internet Service Providers. The only remedy for this situation is to get a faster connection for a fairer price than your slower connection. you can chk the windows speed test from ip speed test at free of cost

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.