How to increase wifi reception?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by haganah, Dec 19, 2005.

1. haganah macrumors member

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

from that site
    "Compatibility Microsoft Windows 98/ME/2000/XP"

so that would be a no i think on that idea:eek:

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

4. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

2 things you can try:

• Boost the signal (like EricNau suggested)
    • Boost the reception
      either by replacing the internal antenna or
      scraping some of the metal surrounding the antenna (no need to open up the book for this) ;)
      Another thing you could do is buy a PCMCIA WiFi card (only if your PB isn't a 12"), preferably with an antenna connector. It will come in much more handy than always carrying around a usb device. With a card like this the antenna sticks out of the powerbook. If you still don't get enough reception, or want to go eg directional, you can attach an external antenna to the card.

Cheers

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

don't forget to try and move your wifi router/basestation in a different location and changing channels to either 1,6, or 11.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Why those channels? :confused:

7. haganah thread starter macrumors member

I hope I don't sound too retarded asking this, but do you attach one airport express to the other or does it just automatically pick up your wireless signal and extend it? If it's totally wireless and all I have to do is stick the airport express into the power outlet and nothing else, that would be great.

And yeah guys I have a 12 inch. My reception at home is really bad. I also have issues sometimes when I'm outside of home -ie it won't pick up a signal that great at a coffee shop. I wanted something more portable but I don't have PCMCIA and didn't want to rip open the card to install an antenna to the powerbook itself. If it comes down to it I'll get the Dr. Bot antenna.

8. mbopy22 macrumors 6502

mbopy22

Buy a Pringle can, eat it all with guacamole and then clean the can... do a google search for Pringle Wi Fi Antena... and you'll be set up... ;)

9. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

It would be nice indeed to have a pringle can hanging from a wire through a self drilled hole out of a 12" powerbook.
    :cool:

10. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Will that snazzy hat increase throughput or signal strength?

11. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I have a 12'' PowerBook and the reception is getting progressively worse. I used to be able to pick up WiFi anywhere on my college's campus, and now I can only pick up a signal on about half of campus. Constantly I see people next to me on the internet when I have no signal, it's driving me crazy. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anyway to fix it and I plan on solving the problem by purchasing a Rev A Macintel notebook.

12. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Put a metal Cookie Sheet under your Wifi base station.

It will act as a ground plane for your antennas to transmit away from. It is an Amateur radio operators trick, and at actually works!

If it doesn't work,or you don't like the looks, put the pan back in the cupboard ;) .

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Possibly a bit extreme...

but you could always get an iBook. ;)

Honestly though, my iBook gets full reception where my PB would struggle to get one or two bars.

14. mbopy22 macrumors 6502

mbopy22

iBook RULEZZZZZZZ:D :D I L O V E mine.

I'm glad I did not buy a PB... as my first Mac, knowing myself I would be very pissed off if I've spent 2000$ on a non very receptive computer... LOL...:eek:

either way I'm sure that by the end of next year or the begining of the next one I'll get a Macintel an it would probably be a POWERBOOK LOL :p :p :p

15. mbopy22 macrumors 6502

mbopy22

16. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Actually, it's usually 1 or 11. 6 is a 3rd option that many people like to stay away from. Many devices use the same frequency as 802.11b/g. To split this up, we have different channels on the same frequency. They are just slight changes in the frequencey. There is less interference this way. But, a device on 6 still interferes with a device on 7, but much less than if they were both on 7. A device on 4 will interfere even less with that device on 7. So the farther apart from a used channel, the less chance of interference. By placing your router on an extreme channel, you are hoping for the least interference. If by some chance all you devices are running 1 and 11, then 6 becomes you next logical choice, but not until you are sure 1 and 11 are not good. 1 and 11 generally only received interference from one side of the spectrum. 6 can receive interference from both sides.

PS. In some parts of the world you can also use 12, 13, and 14. You should use 1 or 14 in these situations.

17. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, that is what you do! (As long as you use either an Airport Extreme or Airport Express as your current Base Station).

After plugging in the New AirPort Express I think if you go to Utilities > Airport Setup Assistant, that should walk you through it.

If not, you can do it manually by Airport Admin Utility > Configure > WDS.

However this won't help you at any local coffee shop, just at home. :(

18. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

19. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Thanks.

Will setting the channel for Automatic work good?

20. Soverc macrumors member

You have said that you have bad reception at home and at a coffee shop. I would suggest opening the mac up and making sure the antenna is connected firmly. It sounds like it is not.

I looked at the replacement how to at Apple and there does not look like a lot involved in checking this.

21. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I personally wouldn't settle for it. I put the router on 11. If I don't feel the router is performing up to par, I change it to 1. I'd say 90% of the time, 11 works fine. If I'm still not happy, I go to 6. If problems still persist, it's now time to reposition the router and rework the network.

22. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Thanks! Channel 11 works great for me! :)

23. haganah thread starter macrumors member

So I can't just take an airport extreme to a coffee shop and plug it into their outlet if they have a non-apple router (linksys or netgear or whatever)?

Yeah the reception thing always drives me insane on the powerbook. The last time I opened a laptop up to check out what was wrong with it, I ended up having a lot of sony vaio parts that wouldn't fit back in the case.

Well thanks for trying guys. I appreciate it :)

24. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

First of all, you wouldn't want to carry around the "extreme," you'd want the "express."

But no, I don't think so, I think in order to extend a network (with an Airport Express) it needs to be all Apple. But I'm really not sure, you might be able to.