How to Input Audio Devices into a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Drewbell1313, May 28, 2006.

1. Drewbell1313 macrumors newbie

Hi, I've been having trouble hooking up a record player up to my G5. My connections seem fine and when I play records, the music is definitely going into my computer. The "input level" under settings shows an audio reading when it is turned up. But I can't hear it. I can even use audacity to record from my record player. Anybody know how to configure a mac so you can listen to music being input through the line in? Your help would be greatly appreciated!

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Are youj connecting the record player directly to the line in jack of the Mac, or are you going through a receiver or stereo preamp first, and from there to the Mac.

The signal directly from a reocrd player is not strong enough, and will sound nasty because it needs a preamp with an equalization curve built in.

3. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I don't think that was his questoin. He can record it and play it back, he's asking if he can hear it live as the record player is playing.

Answer: Yes, I think. Look in the sound preferences for an option that says "play through" or something like that. I've definitely done this before.

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I know this option is in sound studio and its in audacity too. If you go into prefs i think its Hardware Playthrough or software. Try them both, I think that is the right option can't try it right now.

5. Drewbell1313 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I tried the "playthrough" option in Audacity and it sort of worked...now I can hear my record player while recording. But this isn't quite what I want to achieve. Is there a way to hear the record player without having to record? Also, I would prefer not using Audacity (it crashes my UIServer, but that is another story). I couldn't find a sound preference option about playthrough but I'll keep searching. Any other ideas? Thanks.

6. Drewbell1313 thread starter macrumors newbie

I found the solution in a simple app called "LineIn." It simply creates a playthrough option. I don't think there is a playthrough option on newer macs. This is a good app for solving this little problem. Thanks to all who responded!

7. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada