How to install a classic program without OS 9

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jamdr, Mar 14, 2004.

1. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Okay, I have only OS X installed on my computer and I want to install a program that runs under OS X, but only has an OS 9 installer. How can I do this? I guess I need to have classic on my computer to install it, and I have the OS 9.2.1 install CD. However, I run into the same problem when I try to install classic--I need OS 9. Does anyone have any advice?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

try using the software restore cd that came with your mac, that should be able to install classic for you

3. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

jamdr, did you try to boot from the OS 9 CD? then install the OS, that should solve the issue.

4. jamdr thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Unfortunately, my 1GHz eMac will only boot from OS X. I have the restore CDs, but I was under the impression that those could only restore all of the system software. Well, I only want to (temporarily) install classic. Can you do that with the restore CD?

5. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

You can pick and choose what you want to restore. If you put your Restore DVD, or CD's in and double click on Install Applications & Classic Support it should install a program and then launch it. There you should be able to choose JUST Classic Support which will install Mac OS 9 on your eMac.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You don't need to boot from a MacOS 9 CD to install Classic.