How to install bundled iLife 05 on 2nd Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jph, Mar 12, 2005.

1. jph macrumors newbie

I bought a new 15" PB (1.5 GHz) last week and wanted to install the bundled iLife ´05 (which is apparantly on the OS X install CD) on my dual 1.8 GHz G5 Powermac. However, the CD seems to recognize the G5 and refuses to install (saying that the bundled software can´t be installed on this machine).

Is there any solution to install it anyways?

Thanks for any suggestions!

jph

2. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

You realise that's illegal yes? But I don't wish to get all sanctimonious on you. As far as I'm aware they have different versions of iLife (and OSX) for different chips. The G5 ones are optimised for the new chip. In short - no.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Have you tried Pacifist to extract the installer packages for the apps? Also it's illegal. Naughty!

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I simply think that this is not true! Were there 2 versions (G3/4 and G5) in the iLife retail box? I don't think so.

5. winwintoo macrumors 6502

In the retail box, there's a DVD with all the apps including iDVD on it (it says for systems with a DVD drive) and a CD without iDVD (it says for systems without a DVD drive).

No mention of G4 or G5 etc. although the install might do some optimization.

Margaret

6. jph thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, didn´t realize the legal aspect of this. Last time I bought the retail package and thus, was surpised to see that message differentiating between a G4/G5...

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

2 Things:

1) The retail package (unless you buy the Family Pack) can only legally be installed on 1 Mac as well.

2) It's a program run by the restore meta installer that is not letting you do this. There is a hidden iLife installer on there that will almost certainly just be the normal iLife installer. You just need to find it!

8. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

No? So why can't I install Panther on my old G3 iMac? (and it's not illegal - I have 2 copies of Panther but only 1 computer. Don't ask it's a long story) I read somewhere that some versions of Panther could only be installed on G5 machines. I thought it was written on the disc but it isn't. Apologies if I'm talking out of my a***

9. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

What I hear

Now, I'm just spitting back what I've heard off of other MacRumors posts - no first-hand knowledge at all.

From what I understand, retail packages put on the disk all plugins, etc., that would be needed for *any* Mac. No matter its OS or processor. The installer figures out what to install where based on the machine.

Preinstalled versions, however, only include the plugins, etc., required for that specific machine. Because - why would they do otherwise? ;)

Again, don't know it for a fact - just heard it here somewhere.

10. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

As far as I know for Panther there are only one set of discs, the installer then finds what your running G3/4/5 and installs those, unless it just installs everything and lets the OS pick from looking at the hardware

As for iLife i think that it is simply for a Mac that can read that media but I think things like GarageBand and iDVD aren't on the CD

11. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Yeah thats what I thought as well. But it doesn't answer I can't install Panther on my iMac - and it does meet the minimum specs. Nor does it answer the OP of not installing iLife (if we ignore the ethics :D) Any solutions?

12. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Its not a firmware issue is it? :confused:

Detail on the iMac Specs, if its an older one that might be the problem

Worth a shot

13. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Have you done the firmware update to your iMac??

We were having a grand cascade of computers last summer and at one time there were about 6 older iMacs floating around - all of them had Panther installed from he same install disks until we figured out which ones we were going to keep and which ones got trashed.

The older iMacs needed a firmware update and I think the installer told us where to get it at the time - and I'm sure if you did a search here, you'd find several old threads on the subject.

Margaret

14. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

iMac 400MHz DV 320MB RAM, 10GB HD 5GB free OS9.2. Which firmware update? :confused: I haven't searched for a thread because it sits unplugged in my spare room. Just this tread made me think of it. I tried it again a few minutes ago and it didn't tell where to get a firmware update or even that I needed one. After holding C with the disc installed it gets to the initial update screen and then brings up a dialogue box saying its unable to install OSX on this computer. Booting through OS9 and opening the disc, then clicking on install OSX brings up the same thing

15. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Panther Problems

Whelp - my baby Pismo (at 400mHz) is running Panther right now - so Panther refusing to load to your iMac can't be the issue. I'd take the advice above about checking for Firmware updates. Good luck! Panther is nice - hope you'll be able to experience it.

16. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

17. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Oh I've got Panther - I relegated the iMac when I got my Dual 1.8. What a jump that was ;) OS9 was killing me. Hadn't thought about upgrading the iMac but if I can I'll do it and give it to my girlfriend.

18. sebisworld macrumors 6502

It would be really stupid if Apple had two iLife Versions. What if you upgraded your machine and just decided to keep your old harddrive?

BTW: I was wondering, how come it is possible to install something on Comp A and then just move the program over the network to Comp B? *HINT* *HINT* :D

19. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

some of the older macs are not able to take panther because apple stopped supporting them: it checks the model before running the installer really and thats why it doesnt work. found that out the hard way trying to install it on a powerbook g3... :s

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Here's the "official" machines that meet the minimum requirements: http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html

And there's always XpostFacto for the ones that don't. ;)

21. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

have you just tried dragging the app from the applications folder over a network to the new mac? That's how i installed Toast 6 on my mom's iBook... but shhhhh! Don't tell steve...

22. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I tried just dragging a couple of the pre-installed Apple apps on my wife's iMac G5 over to my PM G5, both running the same OS X rev, but no dice. When I tried to start them on the PM I received an error message saying the app couldn't run on my system. Third party apps aren't a problem, usually.

23. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Let's backup to the problem

I think everyone has missed the problem here. The disc you are trying to use is specific for the PowerBook.
    If you had purchased a retail version it would have been a no brainer.

24. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

That's what I was trying to say but it didn't come across very well :eek:. Thanks everyone for the help though.