Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BIS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011

Attachments

• ProductShow-5.jpg
    ProductShow-5.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 2,113

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Take a look at the user manual provided with the product. It appears that that there is a driver disc but obviously you can't use that with MBA. Maybe there are some instructions in the manual.

Nov 28, 2010
located
So you connect the Ethernet cable to the adapter, then connect the adapter to the MacBook Air?
What does show up System Preferences > Network >> Ethernet?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
The Apple branded Ethernet adapter just works.

I know that says it's Mac compatible but have you looked up that model online and read about anyone who it has worked for the MBA? Perhaps you just got a bad one?

You did go in the system preferences under network to check the settings though I assume? For example if you're using DHCP or static IP address? That could be your problem too.

BIS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
solution

I've found the solution: just download drivers here

http://yoomon.net/drivers/Umac/MAC10.X.zip

install
reboot
and after connecting adapter to MBA USB port, it open Network, find adapter and working fine.

Thanks for all !

P.S. Adapter for 6 USD much better than Apple Adapter for 30 USD

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007

chaoticbear

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2007
Somewhere on the internets (I'm at work and can't google it right now) there is an issue on the MBA regarding "Locations" under the network preferences. It suggested to create a new location for the USB adapter, and it should work fine.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Looks very similar to the packaging from DealExtreme.

If you don't mind waiting 2-3 weeks for it to arrive, $7.69 shipped from Hong Kong is an easy alternative.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-2-0-10-100mbps-rj45-lan-ethernet-network-adapter-dongle-34691

The drivers for this can be downloaded from http://www.moschip.com/mcs7830_downloads.php (site registration required), but if it's the same as the OP's ethernet adapter, then his link should work too.

@BIS your link seems to be to an older version which did not work for me. BeyondtheTech's link to MOSChip is newer and I will try that one when I get home.

If neither work, I will buy the Apple one.

jnachbar

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2010
I tried it using my wii usb ethernet adapter and it "just worked" great. I think those go for about $10...

Eddiecisco

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
Macbook Pro USB Ethernet Adapter Problem

Hi, I just managed to install this adapter on my macbook pro, following these steps, everything works great, but the problem arises when I try to shutdown or even restart my mac, it closes out but does not complete either process and hangs until I have to force shutdown holding down the power button for several seconds.

Any idea would be appreciate it.

martmac

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
i have the same USB adapter like OP has (Moschip MCS7830).

it worked perfectly fine on SL on MBA until I have it upgraded to Lion yesterday. Reinstalled the driver (version 1.0008) and still not working. It's detected when connected to the USB port but not active or "connected" in Network preferences.

Not sure what to do, maybe a new driver is required. I might end up buying the adapter from Apple which is four times the price!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.