how to install/use emacs??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by poolin1243, Feb 20, 2006.

1. poolin1243 macrumors 6502

hey all

i am wondering how to install emacs...never done anything like this, but found out there is a way to install aperture on my G4, but i have to use an editor like emacs....dont know anything about them, and cant figure out how to install it...any help is appreciated :)

2. ucscc10 macrumors member

uhh, dude you need a G5 to run it, and even then, you need a good amount of ram and such. only g4's are the powerbooks, not the emacs.

3. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

He is not talking about the eMac computer. HAHAHA He is talking about some type of programming or something in the Terminal. I really don't know much about it at all. And what do you mean PowerBooks are the only G4s? There are iBook G4's, eMac G4s (well, not anymore), and Mac mini G4s. It's OK, beginner's mistake.;)

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

emacs is just a (very fancy) text editor. If you aren't doing anything complicated (just some configuration files or something), good old TextEdit may be all you need.

From the terminal:
    open -a TextEdit filename

Other nice Mac text editors include TextWrangler and Smultron.

If you really, really need to use emacs for some reason (it's powerful, but not very Mac-like at all), this build is about as simple to install and use as any.

5. Dr. Cheesesteak macrumors member

It should actually be installed already.

Just go to the Terminal, type "emacs", and there you go. If you want to edit a specific file, you have to know the location. You can either type out the whole location + filename or go to the directory with the file you want to edit and type "emacs (filename).(extension)"

Ctrl-X Ctrl-S will Save once you are done editing and Ctrl-X Ctrl-C will quit.

I'd do some reading on it before you get too deep into editing system files though.

6. cube macrumors G4

(X)Emacs is the best text editor in the world. It's almost an OS.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

emacs is already installed. Just launch Terminal and type emacs at the command prompt. If you want a GUI version of the venerable UNIX text editor, you have several alternatives.

8. cube macrumors G4

Just WHO uses command-line emacs? Everybody uses GUI emacs and vi for the command line.

9. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I always found emacs too complex and difficult to use productively. Maybe I haven't spent enough time w/ it...I don't know.

I prefer vi for command-line text editing.

Though I have absolutely no use for command-line text editors, unless I feel like writing code in a fancy transparent window :p

10. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

emacs and vi are both wonderful examples of absolutely awful, opaque, confusing UI design. Truly some of the worst software ever to become popular. When I need a command-line editor, I use nano/pico (also installed by default in OS X).

11. cube macrumors G4

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i tried it about 20 years ago, but my pinkie got cramped from living on the control key :)

still a vi guy, though.

13. poolin1243 thread starter macrumors 6502

it is to do this:

http://dsiska.wz.cz/blog/?postid=36

im kinda desperate for it on this computer right now considering my other one is in the shop....and...im a photog...and....ya...cant leave people waiting!

14. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

Any text editor should do that. I'd go with textwrangler.

15. poolin1243 thread starter macrumors 6502

can somebody help me through this to cchange this stuff...im on a backup computer and i am under a huge time crunch...!

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20051206021640416

can somebody help me do this...i am to the part where i need emacs or somthing...ive gotten in to emacs interface...now what do i type?

i am on AIM/iChat as poolin1243

16. cube macrumors G4

to open the file: ctrl-x ctrl-v filename <enter>

to search: ctrl-s 5200 <enter>

delete and enter text as usual

to save: ctrl-x ctrl-s

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Everybody? Is this first grade?

I won't use vi for anything, unless I'm trying to frustrate someone.

I don't see any use for a GUI version of emacs. Most people don't programme in LISP so there are probably better GUI choices. emacs is especially important on dumb terminals where you don't have graphics available, though.

18. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Count me in as another non-GUI emacs user, mainly since I tend to use it on remote machines.

As mduser63 I'll use nano/pico first, particularly over ssh to Linux boxen, but if what I am trying to do is more involved I'll definitely use emacs. LaTex integration, C/C++ syntax checking, etc...

B

19. Aarow macrumors 6502a

emacs for tetris :).
    That's about the only thing I've used it for.