How to install / use fonts in OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by teitoku, Nov 3, 2006.

1. teitoku macrumors member

I've downloaded a bunch of .pcf fonts, two .NFNT fonts, and some .bdf fonts, dumped 'em into ~/Library/Fonts, and OS X doesn't recognize or allow me to select any of them from within Terminal.app's font selection panel.

So I read a bit, found FontBook on the machine, read the help for installing fonts...
    Double-click the icon for the font in the Finder. Font Book opens and displays the font so you can see what the font looks like.
    Click Install Font.

I double click the only two fonts (of 30 total) that're associated with fontbook (.NFNT) and fontbook opens....and shows me all the installed fonts. No display of the font I just 'opened', no Install Font option. I try it manually with the + button at the bottom, choose the font...nothing.

Any ideas?

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

As far as I know, OSX only supports OpenType, Post Script (Type 1 & MM) and dfonts. Did you get your fonts from a source that said they were for OSX? Google "OSX Fonts" and you will find sites with compatible fonts. Best wishes.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Linotype FontExplorer X supports a bit more fonts than Font Book. You could try using that to install some of the stubborn ones... :)

4. teitoku thread starter macrumors member

Well, it's more than simple OS X fonts that I'm after. These are OS X and BSD/Unix fonts that I'm trying to use to get the ANSI character set, and I found them all through OS X forums and websites.

All I want to do is play BBS door games without paying $100 for some corporate terminal software :(