How to install / use fonts in OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by teitoku, Nov 3, 2006.

1. teitoku macrumors member

Oct 28, 2006
    I've downloaded a bunch of .pcf fonts, two .NFNT fonts, and some .bdf fonts, dumped 'em into ~/Library/Fonts, and OS X doesn't recognize or allow me to select any of them from within's font selection panel.

So I read a bit, found FontBook on the machine, read the help for installing fonts...
    Double-click the icon for the font in the Finder. Font Book opens and displays the font so you can see what the font looks like.
    Click Install Font.

I double click the only two fonts (of 30 total) that're associated with fontbook (.NFNT) and fontbook opens....and shows me all the installed fonts. No display of the font I just 'opened', no Install Font option. I try it manually with the + button at the bottom, choose the font...nothing.

Any ideas?
  2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
    As far as I know, OSX only supports OpenType, Post Script (Type 1 & MM) and dfonts. Did you get your fonts from a source that said they were for OSX? Google "OSX Fonts" and you will find sites with compatible fonts. Best wishes.
  3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Linotype FontExplorer X supports a bit more fonts than Font Book. You could try using that to install some of the stubborn ones... :)
  4. teitoku thread starter macrumors member

Oct 28, 2006
    Well, it's more than simple OS X fonts that I'm after. These are OS X and BSD/Unix fonts that I'm trying to use to get the ANSI character set, and I found them all through OS X forums and websites.

All I want to do is play BBS door games without paying $100 for some corporate terminal software :(