How to insure 15" PB (in UK)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mouchoir, Jan 26, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502a

Do any of you in the UK that own a laptop have it insured, and how did you go about it?

I'm a little worried about it getting stolen or broken!

2. macrumors 68020

Peterkro

You should check with your household insurer.£3000 cover worldwide for a laptop and periphials works out about £150 a year.If you name it on household cover you may get a better deal.
    P.S. if its a newish Pb you may find an insurance policy is a better deal than Applecare some of them cover allsorts including breakdown.Just Google it there are lots out there.

3. macrumors 6502a

We appear to be from the same neck of the woods!

A colleague tried to get hers covered on household insurance and they wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. I may have to look into you're suggestion.

Thanks for the tip,
    m

4. macrumors G4

Applespider

My household insurers covered mine (East Dulwich) as a 'named item' on the policy, covering breakdown, accidental damage and 'out of the house' for £30 a year extra on the insurance.

It's always worth speaking to them - your record of claims probably helps here. Mine's insured through the Woolwich - I claimed earlier this year when my handbag was stolen and I had 'new for old' iPod, mobile, watch plus cash within a week.

5. macrumors 601

virividox

get the laptop coverage covers it even when out side the home

6. arf
    macrumors member

arf

laptop insurance

Check out these people.

Worldwide coverage and not too expensive.

7. macrumors 6502a

Thank you all for your helpful responses – I am going to check out the links and get on the phone!

Will hopefully be able to sort it out soon,

Cheers,
    M

8. macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

dont forget to tell us who ou went with ect ect :)

us brit got to help each other out you know ;)

9. macrumors regular

That's pretty cheap...

...considering you're in Peckham.

10. macrumors G4

Applespider

:p

It's worse than that - I'm closer to the Forest Hill end than the Peckham side!

11. macrumors 601

liketom

i had to add my old powerbook to my household insurance for an extra £15 per month , but that coverd me anywhere in the world and upto £5000 of software as well.

12. macrumors 6502a

Apparantly I live in Clapham North but it feels pretty much like Brixton to anyone that visits.

Before that I lived in Primrose Hill (or was it Swiss Cottage...)

I will post when problem is sorted