How to iSight Chat with Windows WebCams?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Caitlyn, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Hi guys.
    So, I have been trying to figure out how to have an iSight iChat with a Windows AIM user who has a webcam. Can someone tell me if this is possible on a Mac? If not, is there an application I need or something like that? I know this has probably been addressed before but when doing a search, I couldn't find an actual answer to this specific problem.

Thank you very much!
    -Caitlyn :)

2. z00y0rk macrumors member

z00y0rk

It should work with iChat to a windows computer. It could be that your router doesn't allow A/V.

3. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

Sure i do this, you can iChat using you iSight with other on windows as long as they use AIM from AOL (account is free).

4. condor macrumors member

I believe that the newest version on AIM for Windows (Trillian) doesn't support videoconferencing with iChat. The older version of AIM is supposed to, however, So you might want to check to see what version of AIM they are using.

5. Caitlyn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, well if that is the case, what could I do to chat with these people using Windows? Would we have to use a whole other application in that case?

6. condor macrumors member

If your friend is using AIM 5.9 for the PC and you are using iChat, you should be able to have a videochat. Sometimes problems occur with the network or your own router settings that can block it though. Have your friend try AIM 5.9 and see if that works. When they log on, you should see a little green videocamera icon next to their name in your iChat buddy list.

7. Caitlyn thread starter macrumors 6502a

One issue that I noticed is that when I send her the request, she doesn't see it. But when she sends me a request, I can see it and accept. However, once I've accepted, it says it's connecting, but never does. We waited for a half hour yesterday and nothing happened and we are both using high speed internet so it's not that...?

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

There is a guy at the Apple Support Forums named Ralph Johns who's put together a comprehensive website of iChat fixes/workarounds/FAQs that you might want to check out.

Here's the link

9. bbergie macrumors regular

bbergie

Try this website: http://www.mvldesign.com/video_conference_tutorial.html

I found it really useful to help me hook up with windows folks. The connection is not perfect. Sometimes we have to try to connect several times before a connection is made successfully. But, when it works, it maintains a fairly reliable connection. Good luck. I hope the website is useful.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Thank you for this link -- I bookmarked it for future reference. :) It looks like Mr. Johns has done a great job culling together a lot of useful information...although, ahem, the site design leaves a bit to be desired. :eek:

11. Caitlyn thread starter macrumors 6502a