"How to Jailbreak the iPod touch"?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by BiikeMike, Sep 10, 2007.

1. macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Hack The iPod Touch is advertising that they can jailbreak the iPod Touch and install Mail, Maps, Stocks, Weather, and do other tinkering using iNdependence.

Is this possible? How can they know it will work with the touch not even released yet?

2. macrumors demi-god

Zwhaler

Thanks for this post, I've been looking for something like this. I am hoping to god it is true, I would be in heaven!

They tell you to do this with an iPhone, I am hoping I can do this without one. I hope they also add the real Calendar, not the crippled one, so it can be added to the iPod touch.

3. macrumors regular

Yup. So easy too. So much for people worrying about those apps missing.

4. macrumors 68000

rorschach

Will Jailbreak even be necessary, seeing as the Touch supports disk mode and so you can browse everything right in the Finder?

Unless Apple has somehow done something to lock it down.

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

That is what I'm hoping. I was going to pre-order, but with all this business going on with the calendar, I'm gonna wait a few days after it comes out and see how easy it is to hack. Then I'll go down to my local Price Club and get one cheaper than the :apple: store with a better warranty :D

6. macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

terrible posture by that dude in the graphic.

7. macrumors regular

It looks as easy as moving a couple of folders.

8. thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

:p:p

9. macrumors 6502a

Stang68

yea, but for all of those app directions it says you need the iPhone. I dont have an iPhone, so how am I supposed to be able to copy the files to my Touch??

10. macrumors regular

Those will probably be available to download as well.

11. macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Do you think we will be able to replace the calendar app with the iPhone version so we can add info?

12. macrumors regular

Most likely. It will be funny when all people who did not buy because of the calendar app or canceled their orders see that it takes two minutes to put iPhone applications on it. Hopefully by the time they realize that Touch will be sold out and they'll have to wait 4-5 more weeks to get it. :)

13. macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Pfft, be nice. It is really important for some people I guess...

I really don't care that much as I hardly ever use the app.

Weather, Maps and Notes are what I want!!

EDIT: Question...

Will Maps work with out a WiFi connection? Like can you make driving directions at home, save them on Maps and then take it with you and use it while you are driving?

14. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Not really. A lot of the people who are not buying an iTouch now, probably don't own an iPhone and therefore would have difficulty getting access to those applications in the first place.

If you already have an iPhone then you probably dont care if the itouch hasnt got all its features either.

Catch 22 situation.

15. macrumors regular

Difficulty getting access to those applications? Are you serious? Someone will make those available online.

16. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Using that theory, please point us in the direction of 'said' applications online. After all they should be wildly available after 1 million iphones have been sold... So where are they? ;):rolleyes:

17. macrumors 6502

I'm glad it has finally started!

Also, as much as I love this forum, I'm really hoping (as I've stated before) a seperate Touch forum is created for this sort of info.

<3

18. macrumors 603

Markleshark

Bookmarked it. We'll see what happens. I don't have an iPhone, so gawd knows.

19. macrumors 65816

No. But you can print out the map at home and take it with you.

Maps is simply a direct line to Google Maps IIRC.

20. macrumors newbie

As some of you already point out....you need the apps you want to install. I doubt they'll be offered as downloads, more specifically I doubt that Apple won't take any action against sites that offer the apps. The only way I can think of is to download an Iphone restore image and somehow get the apps from there. I have no clue whether this is a workable scenario, because (a) I'm not bothered with the Iphone while I have a long wait ahead of me somewhere next year); (b) I'm not bothered with the Iphone because NO way I'm paying 50 euro's for two years above the 500 euro price tag; (c) all I know of software and computers is to read the manual (which makes hacking stuff a bit difficult).

An to follow up on argument b, yes it is possible to use the phone with other sim-cards through software or hardware tweaks, I know. There is a big but...there's a rumour going around that in Europe the Iphone will only have warranty if there is a carrier contract in place. So, hacking the simlock in any way will void your warranty. That makes it a no go for me.

21. macrumors regular

maybe because nobody has a touch yet so there is no need for it now? Once people with access to iPhone start going through the process first software needed will be all over the place. Use common sense please.

22. macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

if anyone thinks we wont be able to find these files for download either thru direct http or torrent has been living under a rock. you can find anything on the internet (for free).

23. macrumors regular

Just like they took action against people that offered iPhone unlock? That sure stopped them.

Maybe because most people here use Macs and don't know how torrents or file sharing in general works. That's the only reason i could see as to why people would think those apps would not be available to download somehow.

Using torrents you can download anything and everything, iphone apps wont be excluded.

24. macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

This looks pretty awesome but 2 queries:
    1. Apple will surely make an attempt to update the device to stop this from working for very long
    2. How can the creator of this website make these claims when they don't have an iPod touch to test it on?

Shadow

25. macrumors demi-god

Zwhaler

They are likely making the assumption that since they run the ame operating system, they can therefore run the same apps. I sure hope Apple doesn't have a way of preventing this.