How to jump to specific message in thread?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by elsiedee, Jul 11, 2005.

1. elsiedee macrumors newbie

How do you jump to a specific message in a thread?

For example, I've been reading the 2,900+ message thread, "Macintosh Moving to Intel Processors." When I log in and click on this thread, I'm always taken to message number 1. I've already read the first 1550 messages and want to jump to message 1551 on page 63. The only page navigation controls that I see are:

Page 1 of 117 1 2 3 > Last >>​

To get to page 63, I'd have to click on 3, then 5, then 7, then 9, etc. You can imagine how long this takes, especially on dial-up. I've found a workaround where I edit the page number in the URL of the page directly. Is there an easier way that I'm just missing?

I have both cookies and Javascript enabled.

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

You can enter the page number via the address bar, example

PHP:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=132252&page=10&pp=25
    Where it say's "....page=10....", change the number to a page you want to see.

3. mpw Guest

As above or just click on "view first unread" at the top left of the thread.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Cool feature...

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

View first unread

Speaking of that feature, I use it all the time but lately it hasn't been working properly. Instead of taking me to the first unread it takes me all the way to the end. Anyone else notice this happening? I have not changed anything with Safari, including cookies.

6. elsiedee thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that is what I meant when I said "I edit the page number in the URL of the page directly."

I'm surprised there's not an easier way for such a common action.

7. elsiedee thread starter macrumors newbie

Most of the time I never see that option. But when I do and I click on it, I get taken to the last message in the thread, not the one following the last message I previously read.

The most frustrating part is that I have to keep track of the last message and page number for each thread that I want to continue to follow.

Is that what you all do??

8. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Oh my bad I didn't even see that in your post, sorry :eek: Be kinda cool if there was some sort of drop down menu containing the different pages of the thread or something.