How to keep a Window's Partitioned MBP running smoothly

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wing70301, Feb 8, 2007.

1. wing70301 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I bought a Macbook Pro about three weeks ago and I'm absolutely in love with it. However, there are some programs that I can't run on a Mac. So I installed Windows via Boot Camp on one partitioned hard drive and have been switching files back and forth between the two partitions. However, my concern is that I may be bogging down both OS, but particularly, the Mac OS with my file swapping/deleting. So my question is, what can I do to keep both OS's running smoothly? Will defragmentation of the Window's partition affect performance on the Mac side of things? Thanks!

2. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Nothing on the Windows side will affect the Mac side partition-wise, but I'd really suggest running under Parallels or VMWare so if you don't need dual-boot- it's nice to be able to fire up Windows programs without a reboot and it means that only OSX has access to the real hardware, a safer bet in most situations.

3. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

It may not affect the Mac side but I think the partition has to have something to do with it... I hear numerous accounts of their Mac running like a Dog when windows is installed... Mine does... horribly. If I leave on OS X for awhile its all back to new (except for the numerous other problems I am having with my mac, but thats another story). But the minute I do a restart in to windows and come back... everything takes alot longer to open and acts like it is quantum calculations.

4. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

It's a partition, it's laying there on the disk not doing anything at all when you're not accessing it. Other than using up a device node in /dev, it's not going to have any impact.

5. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I don't know what it would do and if it would or not, but what i am telling you is that it runs horrendous since it was installed (but only when I"m restarting and starting in a operating system).

6. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I have no such problem with my XP installation. XP I find slower to boot then OS X (no surprise there really), but once I'm back into OS X, it boots up as fast as always and works like a dream.

I think there might be something wrong with your installation. What else is wrong with your Mac? Something that could be affecting the speed of OS X? Spill the beans, we might be able to help.

David

7. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh I actually have a few threads now dead that explain all the problems with mine. I even finally took it to apple but since I had cleardock and had changed some icons that was why my computer has random restarts, uneven back litghing, fire fox takes about minute and half to open, after restarts every program takes about minute and half to open (after first open they go fast), force quit at least once a day, get random restarts in XP, XP is more reliable though cause I don't have any othe problems in it. That's to name a few.

I walked in to apple store and explained my situation.

Guy opens my computer and first thing he goes is: OH!!!!!! OH!!!!!! OH!!! this is modified... oh man.... um... well.... oh... (like I gave it cancer or something) then finally looked at it and declared it was because I have cleardock and until I do a clean install Apple wants nothing to do with my C2D MBP.

So eventually I go do a clean install show then complain to hell and make sure this crap gets fixed.

Thank you for the offer though. I am probably just gonna take off XP and see what happens too.

8. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

dude, go to the apple store at the grove next time. i tend to find the geniuses there to be most helpful if not knowledgeable, and less BS to deal with unlike at other apple stores.

9. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Really? Ok I might do that. It's funny I was just talking to my friend about how Apple stores (he works at the beverly hills one) and he was telling me that the grove and one other store are the Apple stores that all the employees complain about and all the customers complain about. Well that's what he said.

Been meaning to go to the grove though... Just moved to California about 7 months ago and I hear the grove has a 3 story abercrombie.... that is crazy.... though I really don't shop there any more.