How to keep Macbook Air connected to internet while lid is closed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by onthecouchagain, Aug 16, 2011.

1. macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Title says it all. It seems whenever I close the lid to my Air, it disconnects from the WiFi so downloads pause. If I want to leave my computer on overnight to download large files, but want to keep the lid closed, how do I do this? Is it even possible? Essentially, can I put the Air to sleep while still having it connected to WiFi and continuously downloading.

2. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I believe you have to have a monitor and keyboard attached to your Air
    The Air only supports operating in lid-closed mode when you have a monitor and keyboard attached to it. If you don't have those attached to it, your laptop will automatically power off when you close the lid, and you'll lose your wifi connection.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131?viewlocale=en_US

3. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I wonder if InsonmiaX still works. I usually just have only the display sleep while downloads are going.

4. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

5. macrumors newbie

InsomniaX works

I have InsomniaX working fine under Lion. I did have the previous version working and now version 2.0 seems to work as well.

6. macrumors regular

Brandon0448

I use Sleepless, it does cost $9.50 but its a very handy little tool. It adds a little light bulb to your top status bar that lets you change the sleep settings whenever you wish. There is a trial version of Sleepless, it has the full functionality of the paid version but just nags you to upgrade all the time.

7. thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I see. Thanks for the replies, folks. I'll look into my options. For now, I suppose I'll just leave the lid open while downloading overnight.