Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rafithegreat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
So, the other day I hooked up my MBA 13'' 256 i5 (which I am absolutely loving, by the way - exceptional for a first time Apple user), to my home theatre system for some music round the house (playing from Google Play - my whole DB of music is on there).
Anyhoo, after about 2 songs, it all stopped - my guess is that it went to sleep. Only when I logged back in (I set it to lock whenever the screen goes off) - the music would continue.

Is there any efficient way of getting my MBA to play music continuously via Google Play/iTunes/any other music app without going to sleep, yet without setting the system prefs. to "sleep - never"? What is your suggestion?

Oh, and one other (seemingly) silly question - when disconnecting your charger, where do you hold the MagSafe 2 adapter at the time of actually disconnecting? I have found the magnet is pretty strong.. Is it better to 'bend' the connector downwards to loosen the grip as opposed to brute-forcing the connector out? (Yes, I know this is a ridiculously OTT question, but me and my OCD want my MBA experience to be as fault-less as possible) :)

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
My Air does not go to sleep if it is plugged in and I am playing music from iTunes.

I push the MagSafe connector up or down for an easy disconnect.

A.

silvershamrock

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2013
Edmonton, AB
There are apps available that let you toggle the sleep function on or off without going through System Preferences. I use Don't Sleep, but there are a lot of others which are equally good.

You can set it up so that the display goes to sleep but the hard drive doesn't. (I think that does have to be done through System Preferences though.)

As far as the MagSafe is concerned, I generally tilt the connector either up or down a bit to break the connection before removing it. The main thing is to avoid holding it by the cord, and grab the connector itself.

Hope you enjoy your new Mac :D

rafithegreat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
Thank you for the answers.
Will look into the apps that are designed to keep the MBA awake -do they have 'profiles'? Like, 'don't sleep if Safari is running' or stuff like that?

krazykleo

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2013
Everywhere and nowhere
:eek: I just turn the brightness to the least amount (just before the screen turning completely dark) and listen to music while i study or whatever its i wanna do. I don't have music on my (very first MBA, as well!! :D) so I resort to the radio lol:)

And as already said, I also just push the connector up or down and it releases like magic haha :)

silvershamrock

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Thank you for the answers.
Will look into the apps that are designed to keep the MBA awake -do they have 'profiles'? Like, 'don't sleep if Safari is running' or stuff like that?

Different apps have different setups. Check the "Utilities" section of the App store. :)

Some of them might use profiles. The one I prefer is just a simple toggle that keeps the computer awake for a specified period of time regardless of what I'm doing. It's basically an "On/Off switch" for the computer's sleep function: when the app is turned on the computer stays awake for the specified time, and when it's turned off the computer's sleep behaviour is determined by the system preferences.

But there's a lot of these apps to choose from, if you want something more sophisticated :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.