How To Keep Occupied On A Long Flight?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Patmian212, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hey guys,
    As some of you might have heard in my previous posts I am going on a trip to NYC on friday. The flight is 8-9 hours long and I am taking economy as usual:( . There is a high probablity I will commit suicide or become mentaly insane around the 5th hour. I wanted to know what you guys do to keep occupied in long flights. Sleeping is probably not an option since the flight leaves at 11am. Also I am 99.9% sure they dont but do they have power outlets or wifi for my ibook in economy on delta?
    Tips are appriciated for my well being and mental stability,
    Patmian212

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Xanax and Merlot.

3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    hold an impromptu meeting of the mile high club...
    books...
    kicking the seat of the person in front of you...
    knitting...

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

a lot of planes have outlets nowadays, so bring a laptop bring DVDs and watch some movies, also bring an iPod, its what i do, always bring my iPod with me.

5. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I'm not sure which is more tedious.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Audio books on an iPod - assuming they're good ones - pass time REALLY well.

What doesn't? Sitting next to an old guy for an eight hour flight who refuses to stop talking to you and repeating the same 30 minutes worth of story over and over and over again. All the while blocking you in because you've got a window seat back against a rear wall. Then... the time passes slower than it does in Hell.

Not that this has ever happened to me. Not on a recent flight to Zurich. And not that I could tell you the man's life story as well of those of his children, grandchildren, and friends.

7. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Music, drinking, mile-high club all good fun things to do, but you could also bring a book. Buy something that you've been interested in and give it a go.

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

9. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I was thinking of boarding the plane stoned but I quit smoking weed, another option is take a few nyquils and passing out.

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You can't knit any longer on flights. The needles are a security risk :rolleyes:

I've got an 11 hour flight on Saturday and I plan on watching whatever movies they have (I'll have my PB with a couple of movies on the HD just in case they're v bad), I'm flying Virgin so I'm hoping they'll have their v cool entertainment system which has 50+ films on it.

I'm taking a Su Doku book of fiendish puzzles to waste an hour or so. I'll have my iPod with in-ear headphones and a 'sleeping/chill out' playlist so I can plug in and say goodbye to the world for a bit and snooze.

And I'll probably end up flicking to the Skymap way too often, I love watching where we're over - I just which that 'a la Google' there was a camera in the plane's nose so we could see what the pilots saw.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Fly Finnair sometime. That's one of the few cool perks of those flights.

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

become really friendly with your neighbors, or don't sleep that night and stay up and post on MR and then when you get on the plane you'll pass right out

13. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Does delta haver personal screens and stuff in economy on intercontinental flights?

14. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Might be a good idea but then again I might miss tha airline food;)

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

LOL.

Have about 4-5 of the little bottles of wine and just relax.

Transatlantic flights are really not a big deal these days. I did LAX<->Paris this summer on Air France in economy and spent most of the time hopping between the 12 channels of video plus the video games etc. in the in-seat entertainment system. I barely had a chance to use my fully charged iPod, on which I had a few audiobooks that I really wanted to listen to.

That said, airplane hum just gives me a horrible headache. If you can borrow, rent or buy a set of noice cancelling headphones. DO IT. I picked up a cheap set of Sony's in Japan and they're not as good as some others, but they reduce the moise enough to make everything far more enjoyable. Or, bring a good set of earplugs

B

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

17. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i flew cross-country on song airlines (run by delta) last month. song planes have the entertainment systems built into the seatbacks for every seat. it was quite handy, but they don't openly advertise that watching movies not on one of the free networks shown costs $5.99 (or thereabouts). i watched one movie on that system, and then spent the rest of my time listening to music & reading, and working on my powerbook. they did not have the power outlets on the plane for my powerbook, so i did everything i could to save power (turned down the screen brightness, turned volume off, etc.).

my recommendations:
    - stock up on good magazines (i've never found airport bookstores to have the selections i really like)
    - make sure your ipod is fully charged and loaded with new music or audiobooks
    - make sure your 'book is fully charged (and plug it in whenever you're waiting around a gate to keep it topped off)
    - bring a good book or two
    - get good in-ear or noise-cancelling headphones to block out the noise of the jet engine on the plane

i have way too many gadgets to keep me occupied since i hate being bored as well. i have a pda (with games, of course), psp, ipod, and symbian-based phone (also with games), and a powerbook. i usually take them all with me on long trips. i like to focus on using my powerbook to catch up on emails, write gadget reviews (for the website i haven't set up yet), and ebay auctions for the never-ending supply of stuff i need to get rid of.

have a good flight!

18. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Get a window seat, and then take in the grandeur. How often do you get a chance to see the earth from such a vantage. Oh and bring a camera

19. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

NO!!!! You'd leave yourself open to being trapped by talkative old men! ;)

20. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Yeesss, but then they can buy you some wine!

...Shhh....

Bring a book, magazine, iPod, 'Book, crocheting..
    When I fly to vienna, I'll probably just try to sleep the whole time.

21. jeffzoom macrumors member

It all depends on what plane you are going to be on, if you are on a 737-800,767-400, or a 777 then you got power and entertainment, if not, buy and extra batt for the book and get a backup batt sytm for the ipod (griffen ibelieve). or do something productive.

22. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Join the Mile High Club... by yourself.

Start re-enacting bad B-movies and television miniseries', like 'Sybil" (Oh, you're such a slut, Sybil Ann!)

I plan on putting on sequined sunglasses and setting up a village of Troll Dolls on the seats around me and leading them in worship chants on my flights to and from London. Methinks I'll be left well enough alone. In any case, feel free to use that method as well.

23. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yeah, but then you'll just encourage the troll-collecting freak next to you to do the same, and before you know it, you'll be arguing over the syntax of the chants and the choreography of their fertility dance.

Trust me on this.

Use Smurfs instead.

24. emw macrumors G4

emw

Other than flying from Madrid to NYC will yield very little in the way of grandeur, aside from the ocean.

I recently flew from Chicago to India, which was about 18 hours total in the air, stopping in Frankfurt. I was lucky enough to fly business class (first class upgrade on one leg :D), but even so keeping occupied can be a challenge. Books and movies are good bets, but bring some relaxing music and just close your eyes. You'd be surprised at how easy it can be to fall asleep.

And I have flown economy as well on these long flights - 11 hours to Argentina in economy. Blech. Thank goodness for PBooks and movies and spare batteries!