Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arne

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2006
Germany
Hello,

what should I do to keep the battery health good? Should I always leave it on battery power until the battery is almost dead? Or is that bad? (I'm on a MacBook)

Thanks in advance!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Nah, run it off the adaptor by preference, and battery when necessary. The Mac is set up to prevent your battery from being constantly charged and discharged (which would shorten lifespan). Since a battery is only rated to a specific amount of discharges, constantly running from the battery will shorten its life. However, to ensure your Mac knows how much capacity your battery is capable of holding, calibrate the battery every month or so. :)

diametric

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2006
Sydney
Nah, run it off the adaptor by preference, and battery when necessary. The Mac is set up to prevent your battery from being constantly charged and discharged (which would shorten lifespan). Since a battery is only rated to a specific amount of discharges, constantly running from the battery will shorten its life. However, to ensure your Mac knows how much capacity your battery is capable of holding, calibrate the battery every month or so. :)

Dot on, MJ. Yeah, keep it on the adapter when you don't need it out and about, and let it drain from time to time.

I'm currently at 90% battery health. And my Macs only 6 months old.

To find out the health of your battery use the app. coconutBattery or the widget, iStat Pro, though, CB is more accurate.

Arne

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2006
Germany
Yes I do use the adapter when I am at my desk, but I mean when I'm not and return and lets say my battery is at 50%. Should I use the battery until it is below 10% or should I connect it right away to recharge it? What is better for the battery?

Thank for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.