How to keep the battery healthy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Arne, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Arne macrumors regular

Hello,

what should I do to keep the battery health good? Should I always leave it on battery power until the battery is almost dead? Or is that bad? (I'm on a MacBook)

Thanks in advance!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nah, run it off the adaptor by preference, and battery when necessary. The Mac is set up to prevent your battery from being constantly charged and discharged (which would shorten lifespan). Since a battery is only rated to a specific amount of discharges, constantly running from the battery will shorten its life. However, to ensure your Mac knows how much capacity your battery is capable of holding, calibrate the battery every month or so. :)

3. diametric macrumors regular

diametric

Dot on, MJ. Yeah, keep it on the adapter when you don't need it out and about, and let it drain from time to time.

I'm currently at 90% battery health. And my Macs only 6 months old.

To find out the health of your battery use the app. coconutBattery or the widget, iStat Pro, though, CB is more accurate.

4. Arne thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I do use the adapter when I am at my desk, but I mean when I'm not and return and lets say my battery is at 50%. Should I use the battery until it is below 10% or should I connect it right away to recharge it? What is better for the battery?

Thank for your help!

5. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

wouldnt hurt every once in a while to run it dead and then recharge...although not something you need to do all the time

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In that circumstance, I'd plug it back in rather than let it run dry. :)