How to keep track of accured/used employee personal time?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jessearl, Jun 29, 2005.

1. jessearl macrumors member

Mar 7, 2005
    Does anyone have a good system for keeping track of a group of employees accrued and used personal time? Days off? Absenteeism?

I've got 20 employees and honestly, I do a pretty poor job of keeping track of these things.

Do you have a spreadsheet that you use or have you found a computer program that does a good job of it?
  2. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    We use Filemaker Pro to track personnel sick and vacation time used. FM is a pretty powerful database app. We (commercial printer, 100+ employees) actually use it to track and archive all of our work orders, and we process 1,200 new jobs on a slow month.
  3. cpjakes macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2003
    Buffalo, NY
    Personally, I use Excel for just myself. I have no need for multiple people. But I use it to calculate my overtime (I'm salaried, so it's comp time, not paid overtime). I should use more functions/logic to realize when I type in "Vacation Day" that it takes it from my bank of time, but it's not that hard to do that manually. I suppose I could assign a number to a type of day, 1=regular work day, 2=sick day, 3=vacation day...

I've also done a replica time sheet for another union here that needs to keep track of every hour of every day, there's a lot of formulas and references in that because one sheet is bi-weekly with each day and another is a six month cumulative.

So, it's possible to set up in Excel. My only advice on that is to use as many references to other cells so that when you change the initial information (such as a date, or constant such as the total number of hours needed for a standard work week) it will carry through to the entire sheet.

Good luck.
  4. jessearl thread starter macrumors member

Mar 7, 2005
    I do have Filemaker Pro 7 and Excel on my PowerBook, but unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with either of them to attempt to make a template.

Someone couldn't post a blank template as a start, could they?
  5. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I would think that Excel would be easier to make a spreadsheet. Sorry but I don't have a template. Do you use a payroll service? It's possible that they might have something.
  6. mac-er macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    Apple has a great software guide here that you can search.

A search for time & billing software lead to a bunch of different types of software.