How to kill Apple Inc.

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by HexaPlus, Jan 4, 2002.

1. HexaPlus macrumors newbie

We have to be careful what we say...
    The media takes almost everyting literallly and if we're screaming iMac's with portable lcds then Apples goning to be killed on wallstreet come monday....
    got to be careful that your fantasy's are noted as fantasy's so that some yahoo with a pc and a press badge dosent call MWSF a complete failure without free iMacs and and quantum computers under twenty bucks.

2. sjestus macrumors member

I agree totally. Apples stock has really stunk for a long time now and it's probably because of the rumor sites before big Apple announcements.

3. reyesg4 macrumors newbie

I thought that the stock is low because investors see that only Apple makes money off of its ideas. M$ makes money for many other companies and industries. So do most other major companies when they make things like phones or cars and other products. But if some guy in his garage cant create a better Mac, then all he can do is work for Apple. Microsoft is were it is at today because it has its tenticles in many areas, if it dies, it takes half the world with it until the next big thing takes its place. If Apples dies, it takes the few software companies that cant sell Windows apps. It has limited appeal to an investor.

4. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

A realistic expo will be:

imac - LCD or 17"CRT
    PowerMac - 867Mhz, 933Mhz DP + 1Ghz G4 (Motorola said the appollo is not ready)
    ibook - Minor speed bump (100Mhz)
    PowerBook - Stays the same

+ Some sort of new device

5. setanor macrumors newbie

oh

so you're saying there's not going to be a $20 iQ at the expo? and i even held off on buying that cd i wanted...

really, though, the reason apple's stock is so low is the same reason it's always been low of late - it's hard to make a long-term monetary investment without a long-term picture of the corporate strategy. oh well.

6. amichalo macrumors regular

Silly me

...I thought Apple's stock was low due to losses, not gains, reported in 2001.

7. joey j macrumors regular

Is Apple's market cap/share price such a big deal?

It doesn't affect their profitability any.

Falleron: Motorola has already confirmed that the Apollo "is on schedule to ship in early 2002".

8. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Re: Is Apple's market cap/share price such a big deal?

Yes, but they might not be ready until febuary/march (this could be early 2002)

9. spuncan macrumors 6502

reply to reyesg4

um no apple would also take alot of the movies,music,and almost all entertainment with it and they would be stuck in the stone age using mono technology and those old film projectors

10. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

apple's stock is at 23.69 at the last market close. the 52 week low was 14.68, i would say that it's relatively high.

compare this to:
    Dell: 29.59
    Hewlett-Packard: 23.16

wait a minute---apple has a higher stock than HWP!!!

11. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Let's not let our heads get too inflated here. I'm sure Apple reads us (even Steve from time to time), but Gordon Gekko (80's reference) isn't scanning the rumor sites before making any billion dollar Apple investments.

Apple is a 'big-boy.' It can take care of itself...

12. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Huh?

How is there going to be a 1Ghz G4 if Apollo isn't ready? The current ones, even when overclocked, max out at 933 and that's not very stable. Also, early 2002 sounds like it could at LEAST be announced at MWSF.

13. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Re: Huh?

Some apollo chips may be ready, but many wont!

14. BurntCalc macrumors member

Funny you mention HP. I think that Apple actually has more market share than HP. They're both around 5 percent or something. Don't quote me on that.

15. Foocha macrumors 6502a

Foocha

Share price not so bad

Apple's share price is not so bad compared with the NASDAQ average - it's actually outperformed the NASDAQ over the last 12 months.

We're all in a bit of a recession right now - it affects Apple every bit as much as anyone else. I wouldn't be suprise to see Apple's share price drop a bit after the show on Monday - especially if there's no speedbump on the desktop line.