How to Launch a Video from a Video_TS folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SMM, Feb 23, 2007.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I am not sure this is the right forum, but please excuse me if it is not. I just ripped my first DVD to Hard Disk (all legal). I used MTR. The Video_TS folder has been created. But, I cannot launch the movie from it. I have had this problem before in Windows. Without an .EXE, or .APP, or Autorun file to execute, how does one get the thing to work? Thanks.

2. NickElls macrumors 6502

NickElls

I'm not sure of the exact answer to your question, but I usually use HandBrake to rip my DVDs to mp4s, so I don't have to bother with VIDEO_TS folders and stuff.

3. andysc macrumors regular

andysc

Is there an error message you get when you try to run the movie from the VIDEO_TS folder?

4. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Use DVD Player.app File -> Open DVD Media and point it at the Video_TS folder.

Or download and use VLC.

B

6. Xavier macrumors 68020

7. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Ah, yeah that is the way, i knew dvd player could do it. I did not however know VLC could, thanks for sharing.

8. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

First of all, thanks for everyone's helpful posts. This was actually the first DVD I have ripped, although I have (illegally - but just for fun), captured footage from VCR's and DVD's to add into my own DVD projects.

So, I read about the two most popular options; Handbrake and MTR. After digesting the information, I decided to try the uncompressed MTR option, as I do not have to consider storage, but want to get the best quality.

The easiest option to try was by balmw's, since no download was required. DVD player worked, except I hosed up the rip. I got an error that the DVD was not able to play 'in this region'. :eek:

I think what I am going to do is try handbrake with the highest quality settings and see how good it looks. If I am reading this info correct, MPEG-4 is the way to go.