How to lift G5 off Carpet?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by DEXTERITY, Mar 25, 2005.

1. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

Does anyone have any suggestions how to raise the G5 a couple inches off of carpet? They used to sell "risers" for the G4 which it could sit on. I don't see anything like this for the G5 and I really want to get it off the carpet. Could I simply sit it on a piece of plywood (may look ugly) or something. I would really appreciate any type of solution. I don't want to sit it on my desk in the studio because need the workspace. thanks.

here is the link to the risers http://store.yahoo.com/lovemacs/griser.html

2. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I'd just use a couple of books or some small cuts of a 2x4 or something. No need for an expensive solution or an entire sheet of plywood.

3. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

My dual G5 sits on the carpet, I think the little handles fulfill the task of keeping it isolated from the carpet.

4. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

5. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

lmao. I never heard of decorative glass bricks, but thanks ha ha..

My friend said Ikea has computer carts they use at the office for their G5's. I may try one of those. I am just paranoid about dust.. thanks..

6. jnicolso1 macrumors member

I used a small metal workshop shelving unit. you cut the risers to the desired height then put the two shelves in to brace it, they are pretty cheap about $50 at your local Dahlsens (hardware store) for non gippslanders.
    Cheers
    James

7. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

8. thecow macrumors 6502

lol They can be the PowerMac's slaves. The stands that you have for your G5 would be more powerful than my main system. :eek:

9. ShermDog macrumors regular

You might want to take a look at the Dr. Bott G5 Skateboard. It's a bit expensive for what it is, but it looks really nice when paired with a tower. I'm not sure it will give you the clearance you are looking for though.

http://www.drbottkg.com/prod/G5Skateboard.html

10. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I would NEVER allow my tower anywhere near carpeting or a vacume cleaner.

Dust, heat, static electricity, poor circulation, pets, drinks, kid grunge etc, NO WAY!

Exposure to the magnetic fields created by vacume cleaners can gradually magnetise electronic equipment.

What this user and many like him need is an Xserve based
    Apple "DeskUnder" Workstation.

A few screws and the CPU panel mounts to the underside of your desk. :D

11. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

12. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

same with mine. I just figure the handles give it enough clearence. Heck I can slide my toes underneath it while I'm sitting at my desk so I figure it's clear of the carpet.

13. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

:rolleyes:
    Apple advises not to put anything on top of the mini for Airport and BT signal.

14. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I'm guessing that you've never actually heard an Xserve running. The fans on those things sound like jet engines. Nobody in their right mind would want to bolt one to the underside of their desk.

15. diddy macrumors 6502

I have mine on what used to be a shelf from a microwave stand. Fake woodgrain and all. Its about an inch think and keeps the G5 off the floor just enough for me not to worry about it. Also gives extra stability over carpet, which is good.

Or you could leave it where it is and make a habit of opening it up and blasting that sucker with air. Its another excuse to pop the door and say 'ooohhhhhhhh'. haha.

16. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I wasn't thinking in terms of using an actual XServe, but something similar
    specifically designed to be hidden away under the desk, yet allowing
    easy access to the drive bay.

Obviously, it would be a challenge to adapt 55lbs of dual CPU to get it off the desk top and off the floor as well.

17. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

You could try the Marathon Deskmount for the G5. Reasonably priced at $59 and puts your G5 right under the desk off the ground. Check it out here: Marathon Deskmount

18. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

lmao. Thanks for the responses. I was considering the lanyard idea. I always wanted to be like flava flav and commit suicide at the same time. The two mac mini idea's came in second. Yeah I dont like it on carpet but had no choice. I found something at office depot that I am going to look at in person. Not sure how much it raises it off the ground or if it will work.

http://www.officedepot.com/ddMain.d...ocation_info=SG_10_CT_802_SC_802001_FM_173226

The skateboard looks cool, if it raised it a little more it would be perfect. may look into that.

So is vacuuming around a computer a bad idea? I know vacuuming the inside can be a risk. thanks

and is using can air ok, as long as you dont tilt it upside down? are all places safe in the computer to blow the air?

19. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The quick temperature change caused by compressed air canisters
    actually can damage your components.

I would never use air canisters on internal parts until they are at room temperature.

I've considered getting one of these Rocket Air Blasters

[​IMG]

http://www.adorama.com/GTRAB.html

20. chelseasian macrumors regular

chelseasian

21. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

ah, that is perfect. THANKS. I will be ordering that. I don't mind paying $50. well worth it. That is what I was looking for. And thanks for the air blower. Everyone has such a different opinion it is hard to gauge what is good or bad. Some say air is fine as long as you don't let it drip, some say vacuuming is fine (stores even sell mini vacuums). I dont know what is right and wrong half the time.

Is it at least safe to vacuum the carpet near the computer? thanks again.