How to: Lock an application?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by audx, Dec 29, 2009.

1. macrumors member

Im looking for an application to lock (with a password) another application. Ive tried the disk utility method but cmon thats ridiculous. There has to be a simple solutuion. Any suggestions?

2. macrumors Core

miles01110

Parental Controls and a non-Administrator account.

3. thread starter macrumors member

I dont want to create a new user account, there isnt a program that will lock a application? It seems pretty simple

4. macrumors Core

miles01110

I've never heard of one that locks a single application. Try googling it. If there's no satisfactory results I guess everyone who wants to do this realizes that there's already a built-in solution to the problem.

5. macrumors newbie

There seems to be a lot of demand for this sort of thing, but no good solutions. Someone could probably make a few bucks if they made a shareware program for it.

Closest thing I can find is DashCrypt, a widget that encrypts files when you drag and drop them. Yes, they're encrypted, which isn't quite the same thing and might cause problems for applications, but it might work.

The other approach I've seen is an old System 7 program that made files hidden with a password. Not too secure (turning on hidden files shows them all), but it was great to keep kids from deleting important things to make way for their new game. I can't remember the name and I highly doubt it's still around, but at least someone's thought of it.

6. macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

You could create a password-protected disk image and keep the application stored in it. Then, when wanting to launch the application, the disk image will require a password to access the app.

You could even go as far as creating an alias to the application stored in the disk image, and when double-clicking the alias, it will automatically open the disk image and request the password.

7. thread starter macrumors member

jease these days they have apps that will put your dam clothes on for you but they cant even make a app that locks another app with a password? seems simple...

8. macrumors Core

miles01110

That's only for the iPhone ;-)

9. macrumors newbie

jelmerjt

Espionage does what you want. It costs 25 dollars, but it's pretty stable and does the job. You can choose which software you want to encrypt (and accompanying folders), and when you've set it all up, a password prompt will appear each time you want to open one or more of the programs you protected. Simply imput the password and you gain access. Once you quit a program, Espionage will lock it, so that when you want to regain access, you'll have to re-enter the password.

Here's the link: http://www.taoeffect.com/espionage/

10. thread starter macrumors member

i like your stlye my friend