Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
But how do you lock the computer without putting it to sleep? I tried looking in the Mac Basics page and I couldn't find it listed anywhere. I would like to leave my computer locked, but awake just in case I was downloading something in the background, similar to pressing Crtl+Alt+Del on a Windows PC and then hitting Lock Computer.

Is this feature on Apple computers?

:apple:

Last edited:

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
In SL, you can go system preferences > security > general and check require password immediately after screen saver begins. Then you can set a hot corner or key command to activate the screen saver.

I assume it works similarly for Lion.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
But how do you lock the computer without putting it to sleep?
You can follow mobilehaathi's suggestion, or you can click the Keychain's padlock icon on your Menu Bar and select Lock Screen.
ScreenCap 20.PNG

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you change your thread title to something more descriptive. To do so, click the "Edit" button on your original post, then click "Go Advanced" and you will see where to edit the thread title.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
Since Tiger, I've been using an App called SizzlingKeys. It is an iTunes shortcut app, but also has a very handy addition for locking your Mac.

So now I just use alt+cmd+down-arrow and my Mac locks. And the iTunes controls are great. And it's free.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Thanks for the help guys, and the title has been changed in case anyone else is looking for the same thing. Thanks for the tip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.