How to Login automatically, without entering my password

Discussion in 'OS X' started by Grfelix, Oct 3, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Hi,

I dont want my imac to ask me for my username and password everytime I turn on my imac, what can I do??

And also, I noticed that everytime I open mail.app, it asks me for my password again!.. what can I do to not be asked for my username and password??

2. macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Take a look in System Preferences/Accounts, and click on 'Login Options' at the bottom of the little side panel on the left. One of the options that will appear is 'Automatic login' – just select your user account from the pop up menu and you should be set to automatically log into your account whenever you start your Mac up in the future.

3. macrumors member

hi all,

i'm bumping this thread because i have a related question:

my computer has 2 users, so we want to disable automatic login. however, we don't want to have to use our passwords to login each time. how can i disable automatic login while also enabling password-free login?

4. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You can remove the passwords for each user. CLick change password and leave the new one blank. Not a recommended thing to so.

5. macrumors member

yeah that seems pretty unsafe. is there no way to maintain an admin password but not require a password at login?

6. macrumors newbie

Further to this, I just wanted to know what threat this would open the computer up to if no account had a password? Would it be under threat from external sources over the internet, or if someone managed to get on our wifi network? Or would it just be unsecure to someone physcially sitting in front of the computer?

What we want to do is set up 4 user accounts for each person in the household but not bother with having to enter our password every time we want to login to our space on the computer. Our old family computer was a PC running Windows XP and this scenario was working quite well. Any tips?

7. Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You would be open to many threats, including external ones and from others on your network. Always setup a password on accounts.

8. macrumors newbie

I did as instructed and I can now login automatically without entering my password. Thank you.

9. r0k
    macrumors 68040

r0k

Normally, when I set up a Mac without a password, I make that user a "standard" user and create an Admin user with a password. This is a multi step process.

1. Create a new user
    2. Make the new user an admin user
    3. log in as the new user
    4. make the previous user a "standard" non-admin user
    5. remove the non-admin user's password
    6. in system preferences, make the "standard" user "auto login"

This prevents somebody from walking up and making admin changes without a password but my "standard" user can work "all day" without bothering with a password.