how to lower bitrate

Discussion in 'iPod' started by puckhead193, Sep 15, 2005.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

how do u lower the bitrate of a song to make it smaller? thanks

2. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

In iTunes prefs go to Advanced > Importing, then select what you want it to be. Then select the song that you want to convert and go to Advanced > Convert Selection to _______.

3. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

i should elaborate, i'm trying to edit an mp3 on my computer for a ringtone, i used audacity to edit it down to 30 seconds, but when i try to send it to my phone through a txt msg. it says the file is to big to be sent so i need to lower the quality of it....
    my moto E815 has a TF slot, so i can put the song on the TF card but i have to put it on my phones memory so i have to make a picture msg. and send it to a fake number, but when i try its too big to be sent.... so the only way to make it smaller is lower the bitrate of the song...

4. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

You can do that by what I said before can't you? Just select a really low bitrate and it will convert it to that.

5. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Yes, exactly as described. It will create a copy too, rather than replacing the original file. Don't forget to increase the bitrate back after though and return to aac from mp3.

6. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

when i try it to select the edited song its grayed out....

edit n/m i'm an idiot, i didnt read carefully and went to file important

7. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Are you trying to select it in your library, or in your effective iPod playlist? If the second, you will be set to auto-synch and so can't select anything. If the first, ????

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

If you have access to a PC and a USB Data cable, you can hack that phone. It takes no time at all. I can now transfer files between my TF card and my phone's memory. I can also use Bluetooth file exchange with my Mac to send the file straight to my phones memory.