how to make 16:9 Div?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by timmillwood, Mar 6, 2007.

1. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

I want to make a website which has a div container that is 16:9 format. That bit is easy, but i want it to change size to fit different screen resolutions while still keeping the 16:9 format.

anyone know how to do it?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm not sure what you're actually asking. You can specify the width of various elements, but the height usually scales to fit the content. Don't assume that the content will always fit in the same amount of space; the user's available fonts or settings can change the amount of text that fits in a particular area.

3. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

width = 80%
    height = 45%

or in css

Code:
    .id-of-a-div {
        width: 80%;
        height: 45%;
    }

4. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeh thats the idea i had but i set the height and it only goes as big as the content and not the size in the css

5. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

you need to put that div inside of a wrapper/container div of the right size...

6. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

How big is the div?

The CSS of height and width are relative to the page. So it'll keep the 16:9 aspect, but you need to put in a baseline value for those values.

Another way you can do it is having it's height and width, while at the ratio, be inherit of the page. This is where I find Dreamweaver useful. I can modify the CSS file and test in the browser in less than minute.

Steve