How To Make 5.1 Files for ATV2?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by plaidhippo, Jan 17, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Mar 30, 2007
    Hi all,
    Now that the take two update is announced, we see :apple:tv supporting 5.1 audio. The basic question for me is what settings are necessary for handbrake (version 0.9.1) to create a standard movie with full 5.1 sound? I am looking forward to seeing and hearing "The Matrix" the way it looks on DVD! :)

2. macrumors 68000

Jan 26, 2006
    Whitehouse, OH
    Since we don't know exactly how Apple is implementing this, there isn't any way you can do this yet.
  3. macrumors 604

Cave Man

It will likely take a revision to Handbrake. There are only two containers that can be generated with AC3 Dolby Digital 5.1 with Handbrake - .mkv and .avi. Neither of these play on the current ATV, nor is it likely that they will play on the ATV2.

I am hopeful that Apple won't do anything tricky to complicate matters (but I wouldn't be surprised if they do) so that the revision will only require putting the AC3 tracks into an appropriate Quicktime container.

Right now, there is a two-step process to get AC3 into .mov files for playback in QuickTime (first .avi, then "Save As" in QuickTime Pro as a .mov) that will play back in 5.1 on a Mac connected to a receiver by an optical cable using Quicktime, VLC or Front Row, plus installation of Perian and a small mod to a plist file. However, these files are rejected by the ATV, even though iTunes accepts them.