How to make a 8.6 bootable CD

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by crassusad44, Sep 15, 2002.

1. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to make a bootable 8.6 CD with Diskwarrior on a 2nd session, but I can't get it to work. Toast 5 seems only to be able to make bootable CDs with OS 9.1 and above, and when I burn a disk image for 8.6 with Disc Copy, it does not work either...

Any suggestions?

I'm on 10.2, and loaded with Toast Titanium 5.1.2

2. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

I think OS 10 only supports 9.1 and above. You may need to boot into Classic OS (of some variety like OS 8.6) to make it work.

On the other hand, using Disk Copy to first make a disk image of a device (like a CD with the OS 8.6 installers on it) and then burning a new CD from that disk image should work. It should do a bit for bit copy of the CD with no alterations.

If you are trying to a make a custom CD with a System 8.6 folder on it, you'll probably have to boot into Classic. If you are just copying a CD, it should work under OS X with Disk Copy.

Taft

3. crassusad44 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks!!!

I made a CD master from a original OS 8.5 CD with Disc Copy, and it worked! Unfortunatly, the disk I was trying to rescue has said goodbye to the world forever. Diskwarrior was not even able to see it.... :(

4. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

The HD died? Try running the standard Disk First Aid appropriate to 8.6. If the disk was HFS (the default for 8.5 and below), and not HFS+, that might explain why DiskWarrior was unable to see it.