how to make a grid of computers...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by i-unit123, Jun 25, 2006.

1. i-unit123 macrumors member

i-unit123

hey,

i have a few (3), fairly recent (2005-2006) mac computers. I have one macbook pro, one mac mini, and a iMac core duo- all of the intel persuasion. i was wondreing if, with a network cable, i can create a grid and make the computers work together to do things? sorry if this is a dumb question, but i was trying to convert a big batch of videos, and i was wondering if i could split the work up this way. if not between 3, then at least 2 comps, with a net cable? thanks a lot, and sorry if this is a dumb question!

2. Monkaaay macrumors 6502

Monkaaay

The biggest issue you'll have is the software, not the hardware. You'd need to find a "grid capable" piece of software that can distribute its processes over multiple nodes.

3. i-unit123 thread starter macrumors member

i-unit123

is there any free software for this:) :)

no biggie if there isnt, i was just curious.

4. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I'm no networking guru, but wouldn't the bottleneck created by this type of setup negate the overall purpose of improving speed?

5. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Mac OS X's XGrid helps to do the Multi-computer (processing farm). Or Nodal Grid Processing. Software for this is very scarce, that's why most have to develop it themselves. The only piece of software that does this is Apple's movie compression entity that comes with like Final Cut Pro or that, its a compression program. Otherwise you have to develop your own software to do these things. Sorry, I'd probably try searching sourceforge.net for some free/opensource software that handles tasks like this.

6. Monkaaay macrumors 6502

Monkaaay

And what bottleneck are you speaking of?

7. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

oh heck no, actually this is a very well-thought-out use, especially if no-one will be using that computer for a while. It doesn't send the actual data, just the instructions to process, for example, if I were having 3 computers work on a piece of a calculus problem such as:
    The integral of (z^x + 15y) dx on the interval from -y to z, it could say, computer 1 work from -50 to 0, computer 2 work from 0 to 50 and computer 3 work from 50 to 100
    Then it'd return the results whether it be an array or just a single piece of data.

8. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Again, not a networking guru, but it just seems like sending that much data over a network would be a little on the slow side. I'm assuming this isn't true at all seeing as how I'm the only one mentioning this, though. :D

9. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Here's a screenshot of me trying to do that equation in Grapher:
    --BTW A great use for XGrid, if they'd support it, is Adobe Programs like Photoshop, Flash, etc.

Networking - on 100Mbps, that'd be fine - on 1000Mbps, that wouldn't create any sort of bottleneck unless you had heavy heavy transfers and thousands upon thousands of computers working together on one problem. The instructions are relatively bytes and kilobytes

Attached Files:

10. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I see, thanks for that bit of info! :)

11. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

Whhaha! Imagine that, a little cluster of minis to do our pshop bidding!

12. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Last year in HS, that's what we wanted to do with the G5's, set all of them up on XGrid, have the server be the controller and execute photoshop and illustrator commands (blur, etc.) so it didn't take so long.
    Could you imagine a grid for iDVD or iMovie? Damn that'd be awesome!

13. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

14. steelfist macrumors 6502a

it would be intresting if somebody can imitate virginia tech's supercomputers at a smaller scale of around 5 computers.

i posted a thread about this, and there's no solution that i recieved.

15. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

you'd get more practical benefit out of multi core multi processor systems (in a small business)

16. Monkaaay macrumors 6502

Monkaaay

I wonder what configuration that cluster exists in now. They should have moved to dual core Mini machines. Think of the power, heat, and space reductions...

17. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

you can buy 4 x 1 U rackmount servers running bsd (os x is a variant of freebsd) setup to run a "mini super computer" type situation.

If you are looking for 4-5 box clusters, I think you'd should look commercial blade servers as well. generally they are 4-8 blades servers running on a fiber optic network. generally they aren't used for "super computer" type calculation but they are used for different type of clustering.

18. mopppish macrumors 6502

Logic Pro 7.2 has a node function in which one computer acts as the host and spreads processing duties for audio effects and software instruments out to the slave computers.

19. simie macrumors 6502a

simie