How to make a server?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macgeek77, Mar 27, 2007.

1. macgeek77 macrumors regular

I have a very nice PowerMac G4 tower. I think I want to make a file server out of it for my house, but I am not sure where to start or what to do. Thanks for any help.

2. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

throw some hard drives in it, plug it in to the network and share some folders

3. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

simple as that!

4. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

How do you share the whole drive then?

5. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Just turn on "Personal File Sharing" in System Preferences. Then when you connect to the computer it will ask you if you want to mount just the home folder or the entire drive.

6. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

if you are using OS X you use sharepoints

if you are using os 9 you right click and choose 'get info' > 'sharing...' and choose 'share this item and its contents'

but i still recommend sharing a folder inside the drive, even if it is the only folder. That way you can create other shares if you need to, and you will be able to keep things organized. Also it allows for simple straightforward backups that are easy to sort out, should you need to recover files.

7. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Also get the Server Edition of Mac OS X Tiger or Leopard if you decide to get it.

8. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

Or use the latest upcoming release of Ubuntu Linux. Ubuntu Feisty PPC is a solid release. Free.