How to make a WC3 Disk Copy Image work!

Discussion in 'Games' started by i_am_a_cow, Jul 17, 2003.

1. i_am_a_cow macrumors regular

I have been trying to make WC3 run off of a Disk Image for a while now, with no success, until now. This message is for all of the ppl who can't get this to work:

The thing you are doing wrong is selecting the 'CD/DVD Master' type. You must select the 'Read Only' type!

Hope this helps some people out a bit! :cool:

glhf

2. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

Thanks! I will have to try it later at home. I tried doing it with the CD/DVD Master setting a couple of times like everyone else said, and it never worked.

CD-checks are so stupid and they really only inconvenience the honest guy. I paid for the game and I should get at least the same level of convenience that the pirates get. Hopefully, this will work and I won't have to carry the CD with me when I'm traveling.

3. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

Does anyone know how to make a backup CD work on a PC? I have 3 computers, my mac and my 2 PCs, and I want to LAN between them, but a CD-R version of war3 works on the mac, and not on the PC, so I can only play on 2 comps at the same time

Mods - This isn't a post about pirating, i'm honestly trying to play a game I bought on my computers at the same time

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The WC3 CD is copy protected, but I've heard that the copy protection only affects the Windows version, and that the Mac problems are all related to simply not copying the CD properly (only copying one session or whatever).

Anyway, I've successfully copied the WC3 CD by using CloneCD on Windows. It makes an identical copy, so the resulting CD will also be copy protected.

5. i_am_a_cow thread starter macrumors regular

oh yeah...

One more thing about this game:

If you are on a LAN, you can eject the CD once the game is started up and use it in another computer. I have done this with 8 comps at a time before.

Hope that also helps some people!

6. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

I tried the Disk Image as you suggested with "Read Only" as the option, and you're right -- that works! Thanks again. Now I can play WC3 on my iBook without the CD.

7. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

There is a program called alcohol 120%, that they showed on TechTV a while back. You pick the type of game ie. computer, PS2, etc. And then find out what kind of copy-protection it has on it, and voila. Instant backup.

Alcohol 120% is for backup purposes only. Please do not pirate games. It is illegal. My post does may not reflect the views of macrumors or any of it's affiliates.

8. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

That program seems cool, and I doubt many people would use it for the limited illegal purposes.

9. Haberdasher macrumors regular

Re: oh yeah...

You can do this with many games...Ghost Recon, Jedi Knight II, just to name 2.

10. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Copy-Protection: The one-size-fits-all remedy

I agree with you completely. The ironic thing about copy-protected music and games is that the only people who are inconvenienced by them are the people who pay for the privilege. Since the music industry started using the copy-protected format I have passed on some of my favorite bands' new releases simply because I prefer to rip all my audio for personal use on the computer and my MP3 player. While copy-protection has never affected my Mac games purchases I do prefer using an image of a game stored in my hard drive instead of having to use the original CD. Not surprisingly, the Mac games I play the most allow me to do this without resorting to hacks.

I support the games and music industries with my purchases and I am against the casual piracy that people with unlimited broadband access engage in but I do not think it is fair to inconvenience me for their actions.