Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbbensen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
So Im just a little 14 year old boy who would like to start making apps. But there is a problem...

I have no idea how to code.

I tried google, and I found a little tutorial on how to make simple calculator app, but thats about it. Does anyone know where I could find a tutorial on how to code, or maybe a book or two? Advice would also be great.

Thanks a bunch. :)

Lumbergh

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2009
Look for tutorials on the Objective-C language. Google searching things like 'iphone development' might take you where you want to go.

return7

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
you might want to read up on general computing principles as well. a good foundation in math helps. good luck!

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
Fart into your phone, record it, and sell it for $.99, These seems to have worked for at least 5 people.

alones

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2009
Seoul, Korea
iPhone Dev Center

So Im just a little 14 year old boy who would like to start making apps. But there is a problem...

I have no idea how to code.

I tried google, and I found a little tutorial on how to make simple calculator app, but thats about it. Does anyone know where I could find a tutorial on how to code, or maybe a book or two? Advice would also be great.

Thanks a bunch. :)

Why don't you visit iPhone Dev Center ?? :confused:

There are so many getting started videos and documents.

gekkota

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
Why don't you visit iPhone Dev Center ?? :confused:

There are so many getting started videos and documents.

But you have to be a registered iPhone developer in order to access the info on that site. :(

I'd also love to create an app, but I think that without prior knowledge of coding it would be extremely difficult. Too bad, since I have a few good ideas. (But I guess most people think they have good ideas! :p)

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
Three requirements: you need a recent Macintosh computer (Intel-based), an iPhone or iPod Touch, and a $100 development fee. That gives you the bare minimum needed to make an App. As for skills, you need to know how to program. There's little chance of getting started programming on the iPhone, it was not designed for beginning programmers at all.

Unless you wanted to make an "I am Rich" app :) The guy who made that didn't program a single line of code!

alones

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2009
Seoul, Korea
But you have to be a registered iPhone developer in order to access the info on that site. :(

I'd also love to create an app, but I think that without prior knowledge of coding it would be extremely difficult. Too bad, since I have a few good ideas. (But I guess most people think they have good ideas! :p)

Hi Gekkota :) Nice to see your comments :)

You're right. To make apps, developers need to know knowledge on computer program languages.

I think Object C and COCOA framework are well designed (more than java and c/c++) and have many high-level concepts.

gekkota

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
Hi Gekkota :) Nice to see your comments :)

You're right. To make apps, developers need to know knowledge on computer program languages.

I think Object C and COCOA framework are well designed (more than java and c/c++) and have many high-level concepts.

Hi, alones!
Well, I wish I would have taken a few computer programming courses when I was in college, but I never had an interest in it... until the app store came along! :rolleyes:

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
Fart into your phone, record it, and sell it for $.99, These seems to have worked for at least 5 people.

You do realize you just told a 14 year old boy to do something lewd, make money for it, and that he should because everybody else is doing it ;)

I can see it now... Next on MSNBC, a special Predator RAW: MacRumors Edition!

Though it would be funny to see his parents walk in while he's farting into the phone... "but ma, this man on the internet told me I could make a lotta money this way"

Whole lot a kidding here. Seriously, there are finally some good books out there. Erica Sadun's iPhone Cookbook and also iPhone in Action by Christopher Allen and Shannon Appelcline. Also find a teacher who might help you out. I taught myself COBOL in highschool (1983) and got credit for it. Actually came in handy... ONCE... in my professional life.

hack a mac

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
Three requirements: you need a recent Macintosh computer (Intel-based), an iPhone or iPod Touch, and a $100 development fee. That gives you the bare minimum needed to make an App. As for skills, you need to know how to program. There's little chance of getting started programming on the iPhone, it was not designed for beginning programmers at all.

Unless you wanted to make an "I am Rich" app :) The guy who made that didn't program a single line of code!

Can't you download the iphone SDK for free?
and, can you use that to make an app and put it on the the app store,
or do you have to pay the 99$ fee to put apps on the app store?

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Can't you download the iphone SDK for free?
and, can you use that to make an app and put it on the the app store,
or do you have to pay the 99$ fee to put apps on the app store?

You can join the iPhone development for free, and download and start coding the app for free. But in order to test the app on the iPhone and iPod touch device, you will have to pay $99 to join the iPhone Development Program. This is also required in order to sell the app on the app store.

Some colleges though, offer iPhone development course, and they will provide you with the development program for free.

hack a mac

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
You can join the iPhone development for free, and download and start coding the app for free. But in order to test the app on the iPhone and iPod touch device, you will have to pay $99 to join the iPhone Development Program. This is also required in order to sell the app on the app store.

Some colleges though, offer iPhone development course, and they will provide you with the development program for free.
ah, i see. is the free iphone SDK the same as the paid one?
The reason I ask is that I want to code my app, then join for 99$
and test my app, and put it on the app store.

scan

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
Hi, alones!
Well, I wish I would have taken a few computer programming courses when I was in college, but I never had an interest in it... until the app store came along! :rolleyes:

Not to be rude, but that doesn't mean you're actually interested in it. You're just interested in the product such a skill produces. I tell people who are new in University or are going to be attending University that seek advice in my program (Computer Science. Not exactly computer programming but it's related) you better be darn well passionate.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
ah, i see. is the free iphone SDK the same as the paid one?
The reason I ask is that I want to code my app, then join for 99$
and test my app, and put it on the app store.

Yeah, the $99 gets you two things: access to the special section of the website where you can setup and download what you need to put your app on an iPhone or iPod Touch and create the final Distribution build for submitting to Apple, and two developer support emails.

The free SDK does include an iPhone simulator, which you can use for some development testing, though it isn't quite the same as an iPhone (it's quite a bit faster than an actual iPhone, and doesn't support all the iPhone features).

hack a mac

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
Yeah, the $99 gets you two things: access to the special section of the website where you can setup and download what you need to put your app on an iPhone or iPod Touch and create the final Distribution build for submitting to Apple, and two developer support emails.

The free SDK does include an iPhone simulator, which you can use for some development testing, though it isn't quite the same as an iPhone (it's quite a bit faster than an actual iPhone, and doesn't support all the iPhone features).

kk thanks.

liptonlover

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
First, you're not 'just a little 14 year old boy'. I starting programming in BASIC when I was 9, and switched to objc/cocoa at 14, I'm 15 now. I have written and sold apps for palm OS, I have written and put up for downloading apps for the mac, and am currently working on the iphone. Age isn't a limiting factor.

As for where you should start, I'd say start with desktop mac programming. It's the same language and almost the same frameworks, but there's a lot more tutorials and docs on desktop mac programming than iphone.

First you should look at http://www.cprogramming.com. It's old and you probably shouldn't bother actually doing the activities, but at least read through them and answer the quiz questions.

After that, move on to becomeanxcoder at http://www.cocoalab.com. It starts you from scratch, teaching you the very basics of programming in objc/cocoa on the desktop. It's a little old and things have changed a bit but it's not too hard to figure out.

When you've finished that, you'll probably feel ready to go learn a bunch more stuff, which is good. Becomeanxcoder leaves a lot to learn still, but it gives you the base you need to start. So what you need to learn now are the details. I advise a mixture of the internet (this site and google, start your own bookmark collection) and the 3rd edition of hillegasse's book, cocoa programming.

Apple's docs are the pandora's box of mac programming, IMO. I didn't understand them for the longest time, especially the docs for each class. But once I understood them, suddenly I could use whatever class I wanted without fear of messing around, trying to get it to work. If you have the same problem I did or have any other question, just shoot me an email at lipton_lover@mac.com.

Hope that helps and good luck, Nate

Vanilla Cocoa

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I'm 13. I started programming when I was almost 7. Back then, I used Windows, so I started out with Visual Basic 5 (and later, 6 and then .NET).

At around age 8, I had already gotten into Web development, mainly PHP and Perl. Around the same time, my father had been accepted for a Linux system administration college class, so I took it with him! Pretty soon I was using Linux almost exclusively. That made me learn C.

At around age 11, a Web development framework called Ruby on Rails was the new hot thing. Not knowing any Ruby, but hating PHP and Perl (my usual Web development languages), I decided to learn Ruby - the first object-oriented language I've tried. I fell in love.

Also at that age, I tried OS X on my old Celeron and fell in love with that. Pretty soon, I convinced my parents to let me buy an iMac G5. (I now have a 24" C2D.) That was my entry into the Mac world.

It took me a bit of time, about a year, but now I'm an Objective-C/Cocoa developer as well. So now I only use Objective-C and Ruby.

My reason for telling you this is for you to realize that you're not just a "little 14 year old boy." You CAN learn!

I'm also glad to help you. Just PM me.

jfayngor

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2009
Huntington Beach
Iphone dev

Does anyone in here know if you have to pay each time you submit an app to the app store or is the $100 a one time fee and then you can upload as many apps as u want?

diemos

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
It's one time fee I believe, you don't pay Apple to submit an app. They also get a cut(30%) from your app every time it sells.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.