How to make/change Icons

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by i-sidd, Jan 24, 2007.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

Hey Guys,

I was looking thorugh the Pictures thread and saw so many cool Icons and desktop wall papes that I was amazed. I wanted to know how can I get those cool wallpapers and Icons. How can I create icons and what tools would I need.(looking for free applications)

Also can you make your wallpapers to change randomly.Is it possible to do?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You can use CandyBar to change your icons or you can just do a lot of them manually. InterfaceLift and IconFactory have a lot of good icons.

Your wallpaper is set in System Preferences --> Desktop & Screen Saver. There's an option at the bottom to choose an entire folder of pictures and rotate through them at a specified interval, either in order or at random.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You can indeed. Take a look under System Preferences, under Desktop & Screensaver/Desktop – there's an option at the bottom that'll change the picture automatically for you. You can choose how often it changes, too.

As for icons, there are a lot of sites where you can pic them up – The Iconfactory, PixelGirl Presents and David Lanham's site are some good places to start. As a bonus, they have some nice Desktop pictures to download too.

There are quite a few freeware/shareware apps if you fancy having a go at making some yourself – Iconographer and Can Combine Icons, to name but two.

4. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

5. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, I tried to download some files but it says that I need an applications to open them. The extention was .sit. I had no problem downloading others but a few of them with the above mentioned ext won't open. What's wrong. Or what am I missing.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Get Stuffit Expander to open those files. It used to come standard on Macs, but they eliminated it because it's becoming a rare format.

8. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey one more quick question, What is shapeshifter and how can I use it on my MB CD. Also when I downloaded these icons, do I have to manually change each and every one of them.What I mean is like for example, I have changed the icon of music with apair of headphones, in the finder window,however the folders inside the music remains the default, do I have to manually change all those folders inside. Isn't there a quick and a better way to do it. I tried canybar, but I don't know how to use it and got frustrated with it.