How to make Firefox the #1 Browser on your Mac and kick Safari's Ass!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nylon, Apr 14, 2006.

1. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

I'm a New Mac user. I have tried Safari as well as Firefox. I think Firefox is far superior to Safari, especially on the new Intel Macs. Firefox 1.5.0.2 loads pages considerably faster then Safari. Additionally the implementation of Tabbed browsing is better. Multible tabs open faster when loaded together.

Additionally there are a number of extensions available that make surfing a pleasure.

To those people who say the GUI of the Standard Firefox install is unappealing please go to the following page:

http://takebacktheweb.org/

I used the Brushed theme at the bottom which fits perfectly with OSX. If you continue to the essential extension section of the said website you will find 2 extensions that are necessary:

Tab X
    Sage (please use the CSS style sheet on the same page to mimic the Safari RSS GUI)

Here are a couple of screenshots of Firefox running on my MBP:

[​IMG]

RSS:

[​IMG]

2. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Do you have 2GB of RAM in your MacBook?

Firefox runs better with 1.5.0.2 but it's still like a fat kid running up a mountain of sand compared to Safari on my 2Ghz/1GB MBP.

Also, you should really check out NetNewsWire 2.1 if you are into RSS.

3. nylon thread starter macrumors 6502a

nylon

I have the same spec machine as you my friend. Try comparing Safari loading pages on a wireless connection vs Firefox. Also Firefox is infinitely more versatile then Safari. Safari needs to mature for a little while longer.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

5. nylon thread starter macrumors 6502a

nylon

I love Camino, but I like the built in RSS of Firefox. I don't want to have a separate RSS reader.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The Firefox version 2.0 alpha was exceptionally fast compared to either Firefox version 1.5.x or Safari, so I think we'll see a lot of improvement. However, Safari will continue to improve, also.

Camino will always be quick but will probably never achieve much as far as flexibility and extensibility.

7. mkaake macrumors 65816

So am I the only one who really doesn't like camino? I can't think off the top of my head, but when I gave it a go for about a week, it constantly screwed up rendering (really bad like), and especially choked on pages with embedded media (qt or wmv's). So bad that all of the tabs would have the movie playing back on it, in the location it should be on in it's actual tab. But if you go to the tab it's supposed to be playing on, it's only half there, and the controls are whited out. Not grayed out, but that part of the screen is just completely blank. So you can try and pick out where you think the buttons are, and you might be right. Or wrong. Not that it matters, as you could only see half of the video anyway.

And while it seemed faster on the first day of browsing, it really wasn't. I've found that any time I try out or switch back and forth between browsers, the new one (or old one that I'm switching back too) always feel faster. It's a mind thing for me.

Anyhew, after about a week of trying to love camino, I found myself constantly opening pages up in Safari that didn't load right in Camino. No point in having two browsers open so that you can try and fall in love with one of them that really isn't moving any faster than the other, and only renders non media pages correctly (sometimes)...

Bah. Just a mini-rant from me. People are really sensitive about browser choices though, so don't take this as me saying Camino sucks (though I think it does pretty bad) for everyone. I use firefox every now and then, but leave it mostly to my wife (who loves it, and doesn't really like to use safari).

I just threw a skin on firefox earlier today from that same site, but it still doesn't 'feel' as good as safari to me. Doesn't flow quite right. Still doesn't quite feel like a mac app to me. So it goes. Guess that's why I like safari?

8. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Camino is buggy.

To be honest I am fed up with browsers on my Gg Mac, the mbp is fine. Seem like Im just having a terrible experience since switching back in october. I dont like any of the browsers and how they run on mac. Firefox continues to give me hell, with freezes and beach balling just by going to the menu. Safari is okay, but you dont get context clues with your pointer at the bottom of the page....Camoni and Shiira are buggy and unpredictable.
    I loved firefox way more on my windows machine, than I do on the Mac.
    I think I might try IE out...

9. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

So I have been trying out Firefox for the last 2 hours and I now know why I dislike it but hopefully someone can help me fix it.

The Problem: Using the up and down keys to scroll pages in Firefox is way to slow. It's way slower than Safari, and I think thats why I find it sluggish.

10. nylon thread starter macrumors 6502a

nylon

I scroll using the trackpad so its not a problem for me.

11. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

I use NetNewsWire Lite ...since it's free, and it's all you need if you just want to view RSS feeds. I do agree though ..it's far superior to the experience of RSS inside the browser.

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I have yet to find a way to use the keyboard to switch between tabs in FireFox. Also, having ONE close button for a CRAPTON of tabs is stupid. It shouldn't take two clicks to close a tab. Also, even with plugins, the scrolling is still crap.

There was something else I was going to say, but I forgot :eek:

13. emaja macrumors 68000

It's the as in Camino. Hold option & Apple and press the right or left arrow to scroll left or right through your open tabs.

14. ucscc10 macrumors member

check out tabx extension, or FF2.0 builds (it's built into 2.0)

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab.

16. mkaake macrumors 65816

that it does.

I prefer the tab shortcuts in firefox, because while I'm using safari, I can't switch between tabs via kb if I'm in a text field - I have to use my mouse, and either click out of the text field, or pick the tab I want to look at. Just one of those small things that annoys the buggers out of me.

17. Project macrumors 68020

I wish Safari had the speed and lightfooted feel of Shiira. Safari has become a dog under 10.4.6. Its infuriating.

18. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

Gecko based browsers all very well and good if you have a fast broadband connection, indeed the way it renders the page in one go it may well give and illusion of being faster.

I have firefox on my system for its extensions(thats the only reason) but all this talk of speed and stability of one browser over another its people seeing what they want to see:rolleyes:

19. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

One thing that really bugs me about firefox is that when you type something in the url window, IT DOESN'T bring you to the page sometimes. It will give you the top target AND THAT SUCKS! I'ts fine if you want to go to apple.com - just type apple, enter and bam. But for other sites, it doesn't just give you www. and the .com with the address in the middle.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Hmm, do you mean the program or the way it displays websites?

It displays websites badly because the website owners don't recognise it, they've made non-IE versions of their site for Firefox/Safari but check for these specific browsers with the user agent string (instead of Gecko as they should but often don't), i felt the same way about Camino but after switching the user agent of Camino to Firefox using CamiTools I haven't looked back, its amazing and so much faster than Firefox.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah...both systems seem to me, to have benefits. The big thing I don't like about Firefox and the US iBook keyboard is that there is no Option key on the right side of the space-bar. So I can change tabs one-handed (with my right hand) in Safari but not FF. But then using Ctrl-Tab, I can change tabs one-handed (with my left hand) in FF but not Safari! :rolleyes:

Mmmm, one other thing you could do for what you describe, mkaake, is to tab out of the text box (for some reason, when I tried this just now, I have to hit tab twice to get the focus to leave this text box... the first tab doesn't seem to do anything) and then change tabs. At least you can do that completely from the keyboard. One that strikes me as odd is that, I would figure you could apple-L to change the focus to the URL bar, and then do it, but that doesn't seem to work in Safari for some reason....

God, we're geeks! :eek:

22. nylon thread starter macrumors 6502a

nylon

Press Option + enter to automatically get www and .com added to what you type in the address bar.

23. ManchesterTrix macrumors 6502

Cmd-1 gives you the first tab, Cmd-2 the second, Cmd-3 the third, etc.

24. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I prefer the iFox theme. Brushed has ... well ... too much brushed metal.

Don't forget adblock.

25. nylon thread starter macrumors 6502a

nylon

I tried iFox but I don't like the tabs. They seem a little unrefined compared to the rest of the GUI.