Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I can't stand how tabbing between fields in FireFox skips over drop-down boxes when filling out forms. It may actually only be the Mac version of FF that does this, as I don't recall this problem in Windows. Is there a way to set FF so that it does not skip, more like Safari? I expect to enter my name <tab> address <tab> city <tab> state <down arrow to select state from a drop down box>. FF skips right over the state drop-down to the zip code, and makes me use the mouse to select the state. This is infuriating! Surely there is a way around this!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
danny_w said:
I can't stand how tabbing between fields in FireFox skips over drop-down boxes when filling out forms. It may actually only be the Mac version of FF that does this, as I don't recall this problem in Windows. Is there a way to set FF so that it does not skip, more like Safari? I expect to enter my name <tab> address <tab> city <tab> state <down arrow to select state from a drop down box>. FF skips right over the state drop-down to the zip code, and makes me use the mouse to select the state. This is infuriating! Surely there is a way around this!

I don't know what version you're using but it doesn't skip anything on 1.5.0.2.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
danny_w said:
I can't stand how tabbing between fields in FireFox skips over drop-down boxes when filling out forms.
I don't have a problem with this. Have you set the Full keyboard access to All controls in System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts?

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I'm running 1.5.0.2 and tried it again just before posting - it still skips the drop down boxes in forms. I have not tried any system level settings, but why should I if it works as it should in Safari?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
danny_w said:
I'm running 1.5.0.2 and tried it again just before posting - it still skips the drop down boxes in forms. I have not tried any system level settings, but why should I if it works as it should in Safari?

Who knows why you would, but I would imagine that Apple has done something sneaky to make something else work while making other developers go through the front door to make things work.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
bousozoku said:
Who knows why you would, but I would imagine that Apple has done something sneaky to make something else work while making other developers go through the front door to make things work.
OK, I don't know what I did, but now it works as I would expect. I'm leaving it as it is.

EDIT: All I did is go into System Preferences->Keyboard Shorcuts and back out again, and it now works.

~Kat~

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2006
Montreal
I mostly use Safari but not because I think it's better. Firefox is more stable and doesn't quit on me all the time when I have 7 pages open like in Safari but the main page takes forever to load and at times it seems slower than Safari.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
How well does FireFox integrate with .Mac? Can it sycnh passwords and book marks etc?

I downloaded the beta last night and it looked 'different' in a abetter way as compared to Safari. Can't explain it but on the same page FireFox seemed crisper and the background was brighter. It looked a little dull on Safari. Does that make sense?

eV

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
eVolcre said:
... Can't explain it but on the same page FireFox seemed crisper and the background was brighter. It looked a little dull on Safari. Does that make sense?

eV
No :rolleyes:

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
MisterMe said:

I'll take a screen capture when I get home. Another question that won't make sense :eek: , the firefox window seems wider on default as compared to the Safari window ... Why?

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
ugg, Firefox is brutal under OS X. Yes, I've tried Camino and I don't like it either, when I first got my Mac I used Firefox because it's what I use on PC, after a few months of having every flash site I visit choke Firefox to death I switched to Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.