How to make .Mac better...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DCBass, Aug 25, 2006.

1. DCBass macrumors 6502

Hello Everyone,

I thought this article over at TUAW was interesting, and I thought we could have a good discussion about it here.

http://www.tuaw.com/2006/08/24/macs-dramatic-resurrection/

Personally, I'm not that creative in thinking about new types of services, but I hope that Apple really fleshes out .Mac into something easy to use, reliable, and with some features that would make me kick my shoes off in a fit of joy. After that, there are two things that I'd like to see:

1. Free Services - after pimping out .Mac into something really outstanding, I'd like to see Apple have two tiers of services: free, and paid. Free can include basic stuff , like email, online calendar and addressbook w/ syncing, etc. The paid for services could include backup and other forthcoming outstanding features, just make it really enticing and worth it.

2. Make it work OS-independent - I think this is extremely important. I work from a windows pc during the day, and it'd be nice to do a lot of syncing or what not when I'm at work. I don't have time to do stuff on my mac all the time when I'm at home. Of course, hopefully there'd be plenty of services that take advantage of iLife that wouldn't necessarily work on pc's, but that's just incentive for people to switch. Plus, if it was done really, really well, it could have a similar effect as the iPod halo. Sure, iTunes and the iPod work great together, but show people what else Apple is capable of and what they're all about. Plus, think of all of the @mac.com emails floating all around between pc users.

I think Apple has a great opportunity here. It may not necessarily generate a lot of revenue on it's own, but it'll get more recognition out there and perhaps net a few more switchers.

So, what do you all think? What new features could Apple add to .Mac?

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Make it faster. Make hosting more robust (they don't even support .htaccess!!!). Make the homepage builder more robust. Create a .Mac Jabber service so that our .Mac names will also work on jabber servers. More storage space. Better web-based SPAM filtering. Make iDisk faster (aka not suck). Make iChat work with aliases (for those not wanting to give out emails on the web), it should work so that an alias sends to your current logged in name; you shouldn't have to login with an alias.

3. glassbathroom macrumors 6502

I think that Apple will have to look at .mac in parallel with the development of Time Machine. Time Machine is looking like a serious replacement of the .mac Backup facility. It would be great if they could incorporate some backup to idisk.

Also they would need to increase the capacity a bit especially considering there are massive online storage services like Streamload.

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

While I don't use it, I have thought about it a number of times.

The only changes I would make is lower the fee, up the storage, and give a free year with every new Mac. Then people would get in the habit of using it early and often and renew yearly. The key to me is semantic - don't call it a trial as this term often scares people away.

5. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

1. storage
    2. iDisk speed
    3. iWeb Slideshows like iPhoto/iMovie can make
    4. Many more iWeb templates

Ok, so some are iWeb but that is what I use .Mac mainly for.

6. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Definitely storage and speed. It is very slow!