how to make mac case, windows inside?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DrkShadowSonic, Sep 5, 2006.

1. DrkShadowSonic macrumors newbie

Sep 5, 2006
    (if this is in the wrong topic please move)

is it possible? to have a mac case (and which mac case) and have window parts inside? i'm doing a project for my networking class where we build a pc from scratch. so i wanted to know about this case thing.

could anyone give me any ideas, or links that might help?

thanks for any help.
  2. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Apr 21, 2004
    Yes....any Mac case would work fine. Just replace the components with those found in a Windows PC. Or, just get an Intel Mac, which already has Windows components inside, and put Windows on it.
  3. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    You can always get non-working Macs off eBay for next to nothing. As for the model, the PowerMac G3 or G4 is probably your best bet for a conversion.
  4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Yeah, it's probably easiest to use something more or less compatible with a major Wintel motherboard form factor.... and plus the B&W PM is gorgeous and relatively cheap. :)

Edit: This one.

5. tabaczka macrumors member

Sep 5, 2006
    Ewww why would you want a PC in a beautiful Mac case?

Unless your planning on a hackintosh?
  6. mattthemutt macrumors regular

Jun 13, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Maybe he needs to have a PC, but prefers the aesthetics of the Apple casing.
  7. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
    Your missing the point, he has to build a computer from scratch, not go out and buy one.
  8. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
    I would really like to see how this turns out, please come back w/ pictures when you are finished.
  9. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

Nov 21, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    There's a thread somewhere around here where someone took a G5 case and put in an intel motherboard. It wasn't as easy as you'd suspect... the mounting points for the motherboard are entirely different, the IO ports don't line up easily, and I think there were some power issues. Whatever the case, he managed to do it, and posted some pictures of it along with his G5.

I searched but couldn't find it. Maybe someone else remembers that thread?
  10. tabaczka macrumors member

Sep 5, 2006
    I know I was only kidding.. I was actually thinking about this back when I had an urge to build a OSX x86 computer..

There are guides if you look around for fitting the pieces into a G5 case.. But thats going to cost you around 120 ish..

If you have any luck with any other mac case post up a guide somewhere when you are done.