How to make Microsoft lose money on the 360

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Nov 25, 2005.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Now, I'm not planning on buying a 360. It doesn't interest me. But I'm not going to be a biased jerk about it and demand that everyone not buy it. I see a lot of people complaining that they want to get it, but they don't want to support Microsoft.

So, here's a guide to "How you can be an XBox 360 owner and still not give Microsoft money."

Step 1: Buy a new XBox 360, PREMIUM.

Microsoft takes the biggest loss on the Premium system. The analysists estimate an over $125 loss on every Premium system sold. So, by buying a Premium, Microsoft loses money. You won't need to buy much of the overpriced peripherals because it comes with the Premium package.

Step 2: No first party games bought new!

Microsoft makes a lot of money off first party games. The solution? Buy first party games like Perfect Dark Zero and Project Gotham Racing 3 used. Microsoft doesn't make a dime if you buy a used game.

Microsoft makes money off third party games too, but not near as much.

Step 3: Buy peripherals used when you can.

Admittedly, it is dangerous to buy peripherals (controllers, WiFi adapters) used because they may have problems, so leave this to your judgement.

Step 4: Burn XBox Live!

Microsoft makes $50 a year off Live users. Use XLink Kai or XBox Connect (teamxlink.co.uk or xbconnect.com) to play games online, instead of Live. You still have access to XBox Live's downloadable content because Silver gives you that.

Voila! And thus, you can buy a 360 without feeling guilty about supporting Microsoft, because they're losing money off you.

If you don't care if Microsoft makes money from you, then disregard this post.:)

2. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Good points, but I'll stick with the old fashioned idea of passing up on the system entirely.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Biggest way to make them lose money on the darned thing is for everyone NOT to buy it until they start dropping the price to 99/199 :p

Then do what you say.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

dont care much for microsoft's OS but i have nothing against them....besides without them apple might become sloppy and then everyone will hate apple as much as they hate M$.

Bless

5. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Why do you hate Microsoft so much ? Because of their crappy product, I have a job, a car, an HDTV and big sound system. All because windows is a sub-par product. I love Microsoft....:p

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Baaaaaaaaaaa....

Hmm.. missed taking our meds today?

Anyway, I think an even better way is to not buy one at all. That's a maximzed loss for Microsoft.

7. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I was responding to the 20+ people in various threads who keep saying "I want an XBox 360 but don't want to give Microsoft money!"

Anyway, why don't I like Microsoft? Monopolies hurt innovation, kills competition, inflate prices, and allows the monopoly to enter other markets and subsidize to put the competitors out of business. Therefore, I don't like giving money to a monopoly.

But my reasons for not buying a 360 have little to do with the fact that Microsoft makes it. I'll give M$ money for a good product if I have to. I hate them as a company; I don't automatically hate every product they make just because it has their name on it. If I was in the market for a handheld I'd buy a PocketPC over a Palm any day. Simply; I hate console FPS (dual joysticks, ick, and I love modability), I have this thing about too much blood making me uneasy, and sports games bore me. I also don't like racing games very much, with rare exceptions of racing games that require combat like Burnout 3 (LOVE that game) and Mario Kart. That's why I didn't buy the first XBox; not because of Microsoft, but because I don't like the games lineup. Does that make me a fanboy? If people like XBox, they can buy it and I won't complain. It's just not for me.

Check out the 360's games lineup. Two FPS, one regular car racing game with no crashes, a ton of sports games, Kameo, and King Kong (the only one I am genuinely interested in). It's just not the sort of thing I'd enjoy.

That's also why I didn't buy a PS2 early on. Lots of racing and sports games. Now, with Kingdom Hearts, the Jak series and Ratchet and Clank games, the Burnout games, etc, I have a list of games I'd want for PS2. So we'll see what happens later on in the 360's life cycle.

Anyway, the point of this post is to encourage people who like the 360's games lineup and really want one but are making a big deal about not wanting to support Microsoft to buy one if they really want one, and just do the above to not support Microsoft.

Bah, I probably shouldn't have posted this, as I figured some people would get all worked up over nothing. But there's no delete button, so, oh well.