How to make my ipod play on my laptop?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by turtlemh, Jul 26, 2006.

1. turtlemh macrumors member

Hi well I never used my ipod on my laptop before since I never really wanted anyone else to hear my music. Well I'm thinking about having a party and having the computer play off of my ipod... How do I get this to work? I tried the wires that came with my 5g video ipod but none of them make sound come through the computer.. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

2. Jopling macrumors 6502

Wow... umm... Well shouldn't all your music be on your computer? You can plug the computers speakers directly into your ipod or you can connect your ipod through the USB cable provided. You then go into itunes and in the right corner of the screen click the ipod icon and enable the feature that says manually manage my songs. You can now play all of the songs through itunes. Be sure to change it back to Automatic otherwire your ipod won't sync up.

3. turtlemh thread starter macrumors member

my music is not on this laptop but on my desktop computer. When your talking about the usb cable provided are you talking about the one that when you hook up to itunes it will update your songs onto your computer? If so I tried that and it took all my songs off my ipod since they aren't on my laptop. I would trasfer my itunes liab to my laptop but its giving me a hard time as well.

4. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

You need to disable auto sync/update (what ever it's called). When done plug in your ipod and select it in iTunes. Then you can play music from your ipod. That's it

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

6. turtlemh thread starter macrumors member

I think I will just use the speaker idea, this way I don't have to worry about the stupid computer.. Thanks for all of your help.