How to make my Mac automaticially switch to headphone out when plugged in.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by crjeong, Oct 26, 2006.

1. crjeong macrumors member

Is there any way to make my Mac automatically switch the audio output to my headphones when they are plugged in, and switch back to line-out when unplugged?

2. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

3. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Mine does automatically.

As soon as headphones are plugged in, sound is routed to them, then back to the speakers when its unplugged.

Are you sure you'r plugging them into the headphone/audio out jack and not the audio in jack?

The headphone port is the one closest to the front of the MacBook, last port in the line.

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

It doesn't on my Power Mac. It will feed audio to the speakers even if I have headphones plugged in, so I have to manual turn down the volume on the speakers (which have a separate volume knob).

5. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Like pretty much every device ever made that accepts headphones, yes.

crjeong -- did you just try doing it? If it doesn't mute the speakers automatically, then you have some non-standard hardware like a USB audio output device. We need more details.

6. crjeong thread starter macrumors member

Same thing happens here, I have a Mac Pro. I have to manually switch to headphone-out when I want to use headphones, and then switch back to line-out when I want to use my speakers.

7. trekbody macrumors newbie

Same problem - Mac Pro won't switch line out to headphones

I can confirm that I have the same problem - apparently the Mac Pro will silence the internal speaker when you plug in headphones, but not the line out. You have to switch sources in the Sound Preference Pane. Anyone have a solution to this. I want my headphones to kill the line out when plugged in.

Much appreciated.

8. werdluna macrumors newbie

I use a program called sound source, its free. In its settings you tell it to auto switch to headphones when plugged in and when you unplug them, it goes back to my line out on my mac pro. Just make sure you set sound source to run when you log in so you dont have to open it manually every time.