How to make my Macbook Work Harder!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ahheck01, Sep 21, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I have a 2.0Ghz Macbook (aluminum, 2gb RAM, 140gb HD). I notice there are a lot of apps that I use that are CPU-intensive that, even when it's plugged in, will only use 25% of the CPU's capacity.

When I'm not using any other program, and it's only using 25%, wouldn't that program run 4 times faster if it would just use 100%? It seems pointless to have it sit there 75% idle while I wait that much longer for a function to finish?

Is there a way to allow certain programs to use more power so they run faster?

Thanks guys,

-Evan

2. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

Check that app's preferences if there's a setting that can limit the CPU usage. Check also your energy saving settings and make sure you're using best performance setting

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

So those settings are within the app? I opened up Energy Saver in preferences (running 10.6.1) and there was nothing performance related - only when hard disks and screen dim or turn off. Am I missing something?

-Evan

4. macrumors 601

clyde2801

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that only apply to power pc macs? I think they did away with that setting in the intels.

5. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

I don't know.. I only have an iMac :p Maybe I remember wrong. Hopefully someone else can advice us

6. macrumors 6502

Correct, that's been gone for awhile.

7. macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Are you sure there is a bottleneck somewhere else? Like the app reading from the data from the hard drive before processing it?
    What kind of apps are you using?