how to make my traffic light come back?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by optijaz, Jan 12, 2003.

1. optijaz macrumors member

Since installing the 10.2.3 update for mac os x I've lost the three traffic light button's on iCal, iSync and Safari. If I click where they are meant to be they still perform the functions, so I'm guessing this is some sort of bug. Anyone else had this happen? And is there anyway to fix this problem?
    Thanks in advance :)

2. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

hmmm, that's really weird. i've never heard of this happening, did you search the applecare database for an article or something?
    :confused:

3. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

have you ever installed any haxies to change the appearance of Mac OS X? If so, that could be the problem, and the only way that I know of to fix those problems is to do a clean install. There might be other ways, though. Maybe a haxie that can restore the Aqua look to its original state...

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That's an odd bug. I've heard no other complaints about that symptom. To find out what happened and what to do about it, you might ask yourself "What makes my system different than everyone else's?"

For example, have you installed any unusual software? Are you using any beta software? Have you edited the property list (.plist) files of any application? Do you have any funny settings in your System Preferences? Have you seen any other odd symptoms on this Mac?

5. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

The exact same thing happened to me, too. Most probably you, like me, have installed Duality and the QuickSilver R theme. There is no newer version of that theme to fix this, but I noticed the problem lied with the brushed metal cocoa apps (such as iCal and Address Book). The only way to fix this for now is to disable the brushed metal in the apps using this hack from Unsanity, which makes all brushed metal apps Aqua.

Hope that helps.

irmongoose

6. optijaz thread starter macrumors member

the only things I touched where system icons, before CandyBar came out in terms of editing system files. Then with CandyBar changed them again, then restored originals. The other issue is that my finder isn't changing back, and my trash can keeps changing between original and last modified one. Other then that I guess I've played around with themes, but removed them all. I run ShadowKiller, and that's about it. I was thinking of doing a clean install since I did an upgrade from 10.1 to 10.2 but haven't had the time, and can't be bothered recusomizing preferences, etc. The problem happened as a result of the upgrade to x.2.3 but I'm not too bothered about it so if it's not fixed in any future updates then I'll just wait for 10.4 to go with a clean install. However fixing now would be most useful.

I've read that others had the buttons appear indented because of missing shadow so I'm thinking my missing buttons might just be a different version of that bug. :p

7. optijaz thread starter macrumors member

thanks irmongoose just getting that now. I posted at the same time so missed your point before typed that essay out :D .

8. optijaz thread starter macrumors member

Yep that was the problem, now with that app it has fixed that up.

thanks again everyone! :)

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah this happened to me as well. it usually happens to a them when you install a theme. i think the only theme that is corrected for this is milk 1.5

iJon

10. Apple][Forever macrumors regular

You need to download the 10.2.3 installer. Open it up and look for a file called HIToolbox.rsrc. Then,

sudo cp HIToolbox.rsrc /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources

What happens is that the new 'flat' buttons have a different resource ID, and it doesn't exist in the old HIToolbox file, so they don't show.

Yes, this happened to me. Yes, I had to do this to get the buttons back. No, I don't run themes anymore. :)

11. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Funny how it only affected the programs that have the new "recessed" buttons.

Regards,
    Gus